EI dosing with water change twice a week - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
EI dosing with water change twice a week

Hello,
I have a 200 gallon that I am currently dosing with the EI regimen. I am dosing the amount for a 150 gallon. I know that EI usually involves a 50% water change once a week. However, I have been doing water changes twice a week because my water seems to get a yellow/brownish tint by the middle of the week. I have a feeling its due to tannins released from my ohko stone (clay not completely removed at the start). Anyways, would this mean I would have to double or at least increase the amount of ferts I dose each day to make up for the amount lost from the second water change?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 03:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

I think you would be fine just not dosing the day you do the WC, as EI dumps a lot of ferts into the water. You may want to try seachem purigen, it works wonders for tannins.

A 17-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 03:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Following this as I do the same for my discus

Finnex 36" Planted Plus 24/7 SE for sale!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 03:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Why not test the NO3 as proxy for all the ferts? If the NO3 is staying in the good range then assume everything else is, too, unless you see a deficiency or toxicity.
If you have other tests, use them, too.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohankpatel View Post
I think you would be fine just not dosing the day you do the WC, as EI dumps a lot of ferts into the water. You may want to try seachem purigen, it works wonders for tannins.
Hmm. But that would mean not dosing for a total of two days? I just measured the nitrate levels after my second water change and it seems to be at 5-10 ppm. Seems a bit low? I actually have purigen in it already but the yellow tint keeps coming back. So Im wondering whether it might be something else. Any ideas?

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Why not test the NO3 as proxy for all the ferts? If the NO3 is staying in the good range then assume everything else is, too, unless you see a deficiency or toxicity.
If you have other tests, use them, too.
I guess i might have answered my own question in the previous reply. Maybe I will up the dosing since it seemed a bit low after the second water change?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 03:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincel892 View Post
Hmm. But that would mean not dosing for a total of two days? I just measured the nitrate levels after my second water change and it seems to be at 5-10 ppm. Seems a bit low? I actually have purigen in it already but the yellow tint keeps coming back. So Im wondering whether it might be something else. Any ideas?
Maybe just fine particles in the water? Try some fine filter floss. Did you recharge the purigen? When it looks a dark brown color it needs to be recharged. I have heard that above 5 PPM nitrates is enough for plants. Try to do one WC on a micro day and the other on an NPK day. if you notice deficiencies then up the dosing on the other days.

A 17-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohankpatel View Post
Maybe just fine particles in the water? Try some fine filter floss. Did you recharge the purigen? When it looks a dark brown color it needs to be recharged. I have heard that above 5 PPM nitrates is enough for plants. Try to do one WC on a micro day and the other on an NPK day. if you notice deficiencies then up the dosing on the other days.
Yea, fine particles is another thing. I have not recharged the purigen yet but will soon. I have been experiencing a lot of stem rot on my ludwigia arcuata and brevipes and not sure why. Other plants have been doing well. Is this indicative of a particular nutrient deficiency?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 05:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Are you by chance using Fe DTPA? If so, that has a tendency to tint the water as well.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbosman View Post
Are you by chance using Fe DTPA? If so, that has a tendency to tint the water as well.
Not dosing any extra iron :S

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode