Making Dry ferts into solutions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (58/100%)
Making Dry ferts into solutions

This is my first post and after searching many threads I still am confused as to the mixing of dry ferts into solutions. I know that many people just dose dry but I have the 500mL bottles from GLA and would still like to mix up my solutions. I have a 90 gal. heavily planted tank that has been setup for almost a year and a half now. This tank has pressurized CO2 and right at 5 watts a gal. I have been using Flourish ferts but the cost on a 90 gal. tank is getting to be expensive. Everything is growing really good and I don't want to mess up a good thing when I switch to dry ferts. I plan on using the EI method as I have always done 50% weekly w/c (my diamond tetras breed on a regular basis I believe b/c of this). I have went on Chucks trying to figure out the exact mixture I need. I know I'm making this more difficult than it is but I have a tendency to over think things. I guess what I really need to know is how many tbsp. to add into the bottles and how many mL to dose into my tank for KNO3,KH2PO4,CSM+B, and Iron chelate, and I will dose the K2SO4 dry. Thank you for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 05:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
First off, welcome. The first thing you need to do is figure out how much ppm that you have been dosing dry. Then you need to figure out how much mL you are going to be dosing of each solution. Once you figure that out, then just plug in the values in either chuck's calculator or apc's fertilator. You would just plug in 500mL as your water volume. Then you play around with the weight of the ferts until you hit the mL of the intended dose. Hope that helps...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Checkout this thread
http://www.aquaticplantenthusiasts.c...-aquarium.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Rex Grigg has basic formulas posted on his site.
http://www.rexgrigg.com/dosing.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 12:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Best thing to do is the following: (Note I just made all my solutions last night based on the 40-60g dosing)

Figure your dose size say 15 or 30mL

At 15mL you get ~33 doses or 11 weeks of dosing.

The numbers below are for 40-60g dosing for my tank, I will dose at 15mL but if you doubled the dose to 30mL you could use the same measurents, shake bottle well prior to dosing as some of it will seperate.

KNO3 was 16.5 tsp to 500mL of water
KH2PO4 was 4.125 tsp to 500mL of water
K2SO4 was 4.125 tsp to 500 mL of water
Super Trace Mix was 4 tsp CSM+B, 1 tsp Ferrous Gluconate, 1 tsp Iron Chleate 13%, 1 cap full Flourish Excel (helps prevent mold in the mix) to 500 mL of water. This is dosed at 10mL for a 40-60g tank

You could easily use my measurements but dose at 30mL and get 5.5 weeks of dosing for you 90g tank. For the trace mix you would just dose 20mL.

Couple notes 3 tsp= 1 tbls, a small funnel will make getting the dry ferts into the bottle easier, lastly I use RO water for my mixes

Hope this helps.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"

Last edited by Craigthor; 03-02-2010 at 12:11 PM. Reason: spelling
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56
I agree with Craigthor just follow the standard EI ballpark range to start with it's much easier than calculating out ppm based off of the Seachem dosing which is lean to start with (apples and oranges).

The doses for a 90 gallon tank would be:
3/4 tsp KNO3
3/16 tsp KH2PO4
3/16 tsp K2SO4
1/4 tsp traces

Personally I dry dose it's so much easier than screwing around with water and bottles all the time. A good set of micro measuring spoons and you'll have time to enjoy your fish and plants.

- Brad

Proud member of the
and the

VICTOR PIMP #58 -
VTS-253A-320 x2, VTS-253D-320, VTS-253A-1993-320.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Mix two or three bottles. One for NPK, one for trace and if you desire-one for Fe. Thats what I did.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I do 4 personally as it gives me more control if I need to add more of one or remove one. 1 N
1 P
1 L
1 Trace + Iron

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
i am thinking of switching from EI to PPS-Pro anyone have any comments?
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums.../t-106810.html

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56
I started out with PPS-Pro works great it just requires a bit more tinkering.

- Brad

Proud member of the
and the

VICTOR PIMP #58 -
VTS-253A-320 x2, VTS-253D-320, VTS-253A-1993-320.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (58/100%)
Thank you Craigthor for explaining it in simple terms. I know I was making it more difficullt than it needed to be. I will be using 4 bottles also so I have more control over dosing. That is good advice using Excel in with the Fe and CSM+B, I have never heard on anyone doing this. Does this help with the mold issue? Thanks again for all of your help.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua hua View Post
Thank you Craigthor for explaining it in simple terms. I know I was making it more difficullt than it needed to be. I will be using 4 bottles also so I have more control over dosing. That is good advice using Excel in with the Fe and CSM+B, I have never heard on anyone doing this. Does this help with the mold issue? Thanks again for all of your help.

Yeah its susposed to help wiht the mold issue, I'm trying it for the first time myself, but have read about it being done before.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 06:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradac56 View Post
I agree with Craigthor just follow the standard EI ballpark range to start with it's much easier than calculating out ppm based off of the Seachem dosing which is lean to start with (apples and oranges).

The doses for a 90 gallon tank would be:
3/4 tsp KNO3
3/16 tsp KH2PO4
3/16 tsp K2SO4
1/4 tsp traces

Personally I dry dose it's so much easier than screwing around with water and bottles all the time. A good set of micro measuring spoons and you'll have time to enjoy your fish and plants.

- Brad
+1 on this! Get a set of Dash, Pinch, Smidgeon spoons.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode