Lowering pH - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Lowering pH

An extremely noob question. I would like to lower my pH and keep my kH and gH low for some shrimps.

my tap comes out at 9.7 with low gh and kH. Not quite sure why the pH is so high. I've left a cup of water of tap out for a long time and it only drops to 8.7. I would like to lower the pH of my water. I've heard of people using RO/DI water, but i kinda dont want to do that. I've also heard of people using CO2 for lowering pH but i kinda dont wanna deal with that either Its just a 2.5g and i was hopefully looking for some kind of additive or buffer that would work well to lower it to 6.7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 11:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
If your pH is actually that high (and that's way up there), you might be better served just buying spring water from the grocery store. With a 2.5 gallon tank, it wouldn't be too expensive to do water changes.

In my experience, adding buffers and pH adjusters is just a means of killing fish, because of the rapid pH fluctuations it causes.

edit: I just noticed your location is Boston, MA. Is there actually any place in Boston with tap pH values that high?

tom
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Grocery stores sell distilled water for about $1 per gallon. You could mix one gallon with 1.5 gallons of tap water and very likely drop the pH back near 7. There aren't many things you can do with an aquarium that are cheaper. You could even use all distilled water, add Seachem Equilibrium to restore the GH and you would still have spent less than $5 per water change.

Hoppy

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powchekny View Post
If your pH is actually that high (and that's way up there), you might be better served just buying spring water from the grocery store. With a 2.5 gallon tank, it wouldn't be too expensive to do water changes.

In my experience, adding buffers and pH adjusters is just a means of killing fish, because of the rapid pH fluctuations it causes.

edit: I just noticed your location is Boston, MA. Is there actually any place in Boston with tap pH values that high?

tom
I'm not sure whether it's just my house. Maybe it's the pipes or something(I that makes any sense) I've tested the water with a couple means two of them being differnt liquid tests, test strips and a pH probe. I think Im going to use distilled or RO/DI water. I heard an lfs sells RO/DI

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode