My water parameters - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
My water parameters

I have been using tap water recently but will be switching to RO water after seeing these test results. What do you guys think about this?

pH - probably over 7.6, my test only goes up to 7.6. Idk how high it is

kH - 5 degrees

PO - My phosphates are through the roof, probably because my tap water has high phosphates and I am EI dosing. It's over 10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 03:49 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
What is your goal? What do you want your pH to read? RO is soft and slightly acidic, and unbuffered, so the pH can quickly decrease or increase. What are you going to add to it to stabilize it? If you just add fish it will increase. Substrate, increase. Live plants, increase. Dead fibrous material, e.g. peat, Catappa, driftwood, etc, decrease.

I notice a troubling trend in modern aquarium keepers, where the measure of welfare seems to be steeped solely in terms of survival: if the fishes live, things are good, if the fishes die, things are bad. It is an inappropriate position to take. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaliberti View Post
What is your goal? What do you want your pH to read? RO is soft and slightly acidic, and unbuffered, so the pH can quickly decrease or increase. What are you going to add to it to stabilize it? If you just add fish it will increase. Substrate, increase. Live plants, increase. Dead fibrous material, e.g. peat, Catappa, driftwood, etc, decrease.
Trying to get my pH to about 7.0 or at least around that for better tank health.

I have been using tap water recently and I feel like it's adding too much phosphate and raising my pH too much.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 04:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Instead of targeting a particular pH, research the GH requirements of your fish. Make water (tap, RO, or a blend) that has the right mineral levels for the fish as your first goal. Then make the KH match the GH see what that does to the pH.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode