2Likes
  • 2 Post By Diana
  • 2 Post By MCHRKiller

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lightbulb Rocks Affecting Water Parameters

I have heard of certain rocks affecting your water chemistry but I am not sure which kind(s). I decided to pull mine from a local river thinking they have had a long time to be "rinsed" in there. I am about to tie java moss to them, they are flat. Then use them to start a carpet from.

Does anyone know what kind of rock these could be? Any advice?

Thank You

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 03:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

These look like good rocks.
You can test these by putting them into a bucket with water. Test the GH, KH and pH when you start, then daily for a few days. You can run the test out for a week or two, testing every few days.

No change: Rocks will work for soft water, hard water and everything in between.

Small change: You will be able to counter this with weekly water changes. I would not use these for the most particular of soft water fish, but most community fish and hard water fish are fine.

Larger change: Perhaps these rocks are OK for hard water tank, but will create too much change in water parameters for soft water fish.
Teebo and Teebo like this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thank you

If you think based on looks they are likely okay I may just use them, knowing at least what they may cause for a parameter swing. Its going in a tank with a Betta and Amano shrimp, hardy guys.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 01:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (43/100%)
I have a few tanks with limestone....now we all know limestone can raise hardness, pH, etc. I have probably 50lbs of it in a 75G CA cichlid tank and I have not noticed much of an increase at all from my other 75G which does not have limestone. Many things come into play whether the rock will affect your water such as tank size, amount of rock, and how acidic your tank is. If your tank has a low pH you may see a greater shift than someone who has a tank with a more neutral-alkaline tank. Each of my tanks is at about 7.2pH and all have moderately hard water; the tank with limestone also has a 7.2pH and the hardness is only slightly higher. Water changes do also play a role, I do 40-50% weekly changes due to keeping cichlids....that also probably contributes to the lack of effect. I honestly wouldn't worry about the rocks you have...the livestock you are keeping is adaptive and any changes will most likely be very gradual.
Teebo and Teebo like this.

3x75 gallons|2x55 gallons|2x50 gallons|3x40 gallons|1x29 gallon|1x10 gallon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 02:53 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebo View Post
I have heard of certain rocks affecting your water chemistry but I am not sure which kind(s). I decided to pull mine from a local river thinking they have had a long time to be "rinsed" in there. ...
Rocks from a local river in New England have been rinsed in zillions of gallons of cold water. Now going into a relatively small, relatively stagnant quantity of warm water. Hmmm... 1 thing for sure: your tank water will not become softer or more acidic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
These look like good rocks.
You can test these by putting them into a bucket with water. Test the GH, KH and pH when you start, then daily for a few days. You can run the test out for a week or two, testing every few days.

No change: Rocks will work for soft water, hard water and everything in between.

Small change: You will be able to counter this with weekly water changes. I would not use these for the most particular of soft water fish, but most community fish and hard water fish are fine.

Larger change: Perhaps these rocks are OK for hard water tank, but will create too much change in water parameters for soft water fish.
That's solid advice. Also, do you have a pH monitor? If so, keep that probe right alongside a big rock and have a look every morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebo View Post
Thank you

If you think based on looks they are likely okay I may just use them, knowing at least what they may cause for a parameter swing. Its going in a tank with a Betta and Amano shrimp, hardy guys.
Hardy in different ways. Betta thrive in water that's soft and on the acidic side, shrimp thrive in the opposite.

I notice a troubling trend in modern aquarium keepers, where the measure of welfare seems to be steeped solely in terms of survival: if the fishes live, things are good, if the fishes die, things are bad. It is an inappropriate position to take. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode