Fertilizer and algae issue - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fertilizer and algae issue

Started dosing pps pro last week. All of my plants took off. I am using co2 and the lights are set at 8 hrs after a NBA outbreak that wiped out my tank. I have 2 t5HO. And a 60g tank. Should I cut back on the fertilizers or change up the mixture this is what I'm getting on my plants
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160413_163746_1460580872044.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	619929  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 01:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

Water parameter changes will negatively impact old plant growth. That is normal.
How new growth looks like?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 03:19 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I am no expert but as I started dosing ferts and adding co2 I noticed the algae in my tank disappear. I am using dry ferts dosing EI method. I am using yeast and sugar mix to produce co2. As plant mass increases then it should out compete algae for nutrients.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

New growth looks fine. Mostly lower leaves on plants developing this. Polygonum and ludwigia look the worst.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 11:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I would leave dosing as is if new growth is good, and pluck off the lower leaves that exhibit that which was in the photo.
If you begin losing lower leaves on several species,then this might lead me to believe the CO2 is not being distributed to lower region long enough, and plant's are sacrificing the lower leaves for the sake of newer leaves higher on the plant's ,and higher in the water where CO2 is greater. (just my opinion).
Would try and aim power head or spray bar in such a way as to force the CO2 down lower for longer than is currently happening.
The gas want's to rise up and out of the tank's nearly as fast as it's injected if no measures to prevent it are taking place.(need good flow to all area's)
Starting CO2 injection and hour to three hour's before light's on would be another option I might consider.
Would leave light's and dosing as is for now, and focus on good CO2 management.
Plant's do not need as much light as we sometimes presume, and if nutrient's are consistently applied at suitable % then only leaves CO2 to get right.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 03:25 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aechele View Post
New growth looks fine. Mostly lower leaves on plants developing this. Polygonum and ludwigia look the worst.
I have seen this on ludwigia when growth stalls. Double T5s are pretty strong and could easily have lead to macros depletion. You did not say how much ferts you were using, but you can try to add nitrate to bring to 10 ppm atleast first and observe another two days.

If you have not already done so, invest in a drop checker for CO2 and a nitrate/phosphate test kit.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am using 5ml macros and Micro alternating days. I have a drop checker that is pushing yellow . I'm transplanting everything to a new tank today with an actual substrate other than gravel so I guess I will see what happens then
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 12:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

What chemicals do you use?
How large aquarium?
Where does it say dosing on alternate days?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Pps pro from Green Leaf Aquariums
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 01:05 PM
Planted Member

I had the same spotting on my ludwigia, I increased phosphates and nitro, no more spotting.

New growth always looked great, it was the established leaves that were taking the hit. My guess was there was not enough nutrients to sustain the lower leaves, just enough for the new growth to sustain itself.

First time PT

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 02:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aechele View Post
Pps pro from Green Leaf Aquariums
Green Leaf Aquariums

Our PPS-Pro Fertilizer Pack ? Just Mix & Dose ? Planted Tank Blog

How to dose the mixture…

Bottle #1 Macros: daily dose of 1 mL per every 10 gallons or 40 litres of aquarium water. Dose daily, prior to your aquarium lights turning on.

Bottle #2 Micros: daily dose of 0.1 mL or 2 drops per 10 gallons or 40 litres of aquarium water. Dose daily, prior to your aquarium lights turning on. (updated 4/11/2016, previous dosing recommendation was 1 mL per 10 gallons)

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 04:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Thumbs up

Excellent point Edward.
Thread's often describe dosing as per PPS, PPS-PRO,and or EI method. But too often sometimes, the method is a variation rather than as per direction's.
Or maybe they purchase dry fertz for a particular method, and call their routine of dosing EI or PPS .
Need to adopt a method of dosing, whatever method that might be,and follow it.
Folk's can only respond to what is posted as your/my dosing scheme, which help's those who can help,,,identify or eliminate possible contributer's to a problem. (we hope).
Sure, some fertilizer's can be introduced into the glass box of water by other mean's than dosing fertilizer's(can adjust/modify) dosing, but better to follow a consistent dosing scheme than to assume that everyone or every tank can achieve same/same for their application. IMHO
At least until you have a few month's of sustained algae free growth. to make comparison's.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode