Switching out TNC Trace / CSM-B to what? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Seattle_Aquarist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Switching out TNC Trace / CSM-B to what?

So have been following some of the discussions here regarding the potential negative effects CSM-B/TNC-Trace can have due to the EDTA chelator. I am looking for info regarding replacements, is there any dry fert micro mix I can use instead? Preferably with DTPA or a better chelator. Having a hard time finding any alternatives.
Read about EDTA on wiki and it seems that it could be toxic to some extent. Not sure if the amount we use for EI in our tanks is enough to make it toxic but why chance it, right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 01:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi Fissure,

Seachem Flourish has all of the micro-nutrients in it that is in CSM+B including Boron although in lower doses. Seachem Flourish Trace has some of the lesser known trace elements which are seldom an issue. I'm sure that ADA or Tropica offer micro-nutrient fertilizers as well. Now do any or all of these sources for micro-nutrients use chelating agents and if so do they use EDTA.....unknown. Is your concern that the EDTA chelating agent 'drops off' quickly as the tank PH approaches and climbs above a PH of about 6.5?
JasterMake and JasterMake like this.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yeah there are those premixed ones but due to them being overpriced and me having two tanks one normal and one big I would prefer a dry mix and mix myself. What I have read about EDTA is that it is toxic to one extent or another. And my ph is around 6.5-6.7 so it might not be as effective as well. Seems rather difficult to find a drymix using any other chelator than EDTA

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 06:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi Fissure,

All of the micro-nutrients in Plantex NutriTrace (previously Plantex CSM)(the boron (+B) should be added by the seller) are chelated with EDTA. http://www.amazon.com/Grow-More-6546-Chelate-1-Pound/dp/B00BWE2CUE iron offered on Amazon, so all that is left to find are manganese, magnesium, zinc, copper, and molybdenum that are chelated with something other than EDTA.

Personally I have dosed CSM(+B) from aquariumfertilzer.com (they do add the boron) for almost 7 years and have not had any noticeable toxicity issues; I dose per the Estimative Index (EI) recommended dosages.

Plantex NutriTrace (previously CSM)

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode