What's your bubble count? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
What's your bubble count?

I just set up a CO2 system a week ago, and I started with one bps and increased by 1 bps each day. I worked up to 4 and stopped there. My drop checker shows a bluish green, so I know there isn't enough dissolved CO2.

I have two HOB filters, but I keep the tank filled a 1/4" higher than the filter outflow so that there's no splashing.

The tank is 47 gallons and I'm wondering if my drop checker should be green by now?

For those of you who have a tank of a similar size, what's your bubble count?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 12:29 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Everyone's tank is different in respect to bubble rate and ppmco2, so a precise answer won't mean too much here. I have a 40 gallon and my bubble rate is FAST, but it depends on many things how much co2 will get you to that optimal level and in how long.

Have you tried keeping a certain bubble rate and moving the drop checker to different parts of the tank? Your flow will dictate levels throughout the tank. Remember it should take aroouuund 30 minutes for the drop checker to be the right color, so theoretically the color should change throughout the day as co2 is dissolved - I would recommend a full day at different positions to get an idea for how the levels change throughout the day in the different spots.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jake

Filstar pimp 1.5.2.
[XP3]

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 01:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

at my bubble counter on my regulator its 6 bubbles a second. But when it reaches my reactor its only about 3 BPS....

I slowly adjusted my BPS to get my drop checker a green color. Maybe a small adjustment every 4 hours.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

What size tank do you have?

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 02:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

12 nano for now.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ok, I'm going to slowly increase my bubble count and hope for the best!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 02:30 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
BPS is very vague. Some bubble counters produce larger bubbles, which would give a lower BPS, and some produce smaller bubbles, which would give higher BPS.

-Chris

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 03:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
In my mini-m, which has a do-aqua music counter glass I use 1bps or maybe every 1.5 sec. This is being dissolves through my 2213. In my 37g that used an iwaki pump before the xp1 that is diffusing it I would say 2 bps through a home made juice bottle bubble counter.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode