water hardness overtime? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
water hardness overtime?

will my water hardness really soften down as my tank matures overtime?

i have a pretty relatively hard water(thats all i know never really tested)

and i dont like messing around with RO or peat.

Benedict
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 09:42 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
I dont believe so..The problem is that when your water level goes down,if you add water,then it actually gets harder as water is evaporated but minerals arent.

And when you do a water change,well,in go the minerals,BUT it is not getting any harder due to the fact that you are taking out some minerals as well.

I believe the KH can be taken care of but not the GH..And I may have that backwards.. ZEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by macclellan
The Advanced ballast is slightly more advanced than the Workhorse ballast, although not quite as much of a workhorse...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
No. As Zenfish explained it probably will get harder. Unless you replaced evaporated water with distilled water and did regular water changes. And that would be unnecessary (distilled water for evaporation). I get the impression you feel you need soft water. Why do you need soft water?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mark

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

it is not really important but i was hoping for my fish's eggs too hatch(discus).

Benedict
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 03:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Water hardness (both sorts) can change over time.
Decomposing organic matter tends to remove some of the minerals.
Evaporation concentrates the minerals.
Topping off with tap water adds minerals to the system.
Topping off with RO, DI, rain or other pure water dilutes the minerals.
Plants lock up the minerals until they die or are harvested.
Harvesting plants and removing the clippings removes minerals.
Decomposing plants in the tank may release their minerals to the water, but also the decomposing organisms use some minerals.
Certain fertilizers add minerals to the system.
Fish food adds minerals.

See, there are so many things going on that the only way to know is to test. If the GH and KH either rise or fall over time then you know that one or more of these processes is happening more than the others. If GH and KH are stable over time then all these things may be happening, but they are in balance.

To hatch Discus eggs I would set up a tank for the parents to breed and raise their young. Prepare the water like this:
Test the tap water for GH. Add enough RO water until the GH is 3 degrees or less. Then run this water overnight in a barrel with some peat moss.
Set up the tank using 75% water the Discus are currently adapted to + 25% new water per your recipe.
Do water changes that will drop the GH by no more than 1 degree every few days. Let it take time for the parents to adapt to the new water.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 04:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I believe the OP already indicated they did not want to mess with involved processes like RO or peat to lower the hardness and that "it is not really important". Why encourage them to start testing, setting up another tank and acclimating the fish to a different water chemistry? Seems to me the best advice would be to do frequent, regular water changes to keep the parameters stable and not change them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mark

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode