• 2 Post By GrampsGrunge
  • 2 Post By AWolf
  • 4 Post By Immortal1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Testing EDTA & FeEDDHA Iron Has Begun

Here we go....BIG DEVELOPMENT On SECOND DAY of test, see post #8, and/or read more on the following blog post:

https://aquariumexperiments.com/2016...on-fertilizer/

Last edited by AWolf; 04-10-2016 at 06:30 PM. Reason: BIG DEVELOPMENT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 02:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

Aren't you a little concerned that you may have too much Iron micro fert added, I realize this is an experiment, but....

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by GrampsGrunge; 04-10-2016 at 03:26 PM. Reason: ...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampsGrunge View Post
Aren't you a little concerned that you may have too much Iron nicro fert added, I realize this is an experiment, but....
I know, yes! :} It does worry me. It really turned deep red. I dosed according to amount per gallon by the 2nd video on the other thread. It's about 1 teaspoon total. I figured 9 gallons in a 10g tank not filled to top. I've also added many more plants to help take up nutrient, so the tanks more full now. But those original few are what I'm using to gauge any difference. I have always fertilized using the same hydroponic solution, so I'm comfortable in that regard. We'll see! It keeps me off the streets.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 03:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWolf View Post
I know! It does worry me. I dosed according to amount per gallon by the 2nd video on the other thread. It's about 1 teaspoon total. I figured 9 gallons in a 10g tank not filled to top. I've also added many more plants to help take up nutrient, so the tanks more full now. But those original few are what I'm using to gauge any difference. I have always fertilized using the same hydroponic solution, so I'm comfortable in that regard. We'll see! It keeps me off the streets.

Another inductee in the Mad Scientists club.

Years back I used to dose the liquid Iron fert that Fred Meyers carried in their gardening section, it had a bit of Copper and who knows what else in it. But it was EDTA based and it would turn the water this lurid, glowing turquoise under my pendant 125 watt Merc vapor lamps. Always gave me a feeling I was over-dosing, even though I was running it at about 30% of what they used in aquaponic solution.
AWolf and AWolf like this.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 03:26 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
The plants aren't getting enough light because all of the iron in the water. I have no idea how you're going to test for iron consumption unless you dry out the plants and analyze the iron content.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
The plants aren't getting enough light because all of the iron in the water. I have no idea how you're going to test for iron consumption unless you dry out the plants and analyze the iron content.
Yea, I'm going to lower the light to just over the surface, and the only way to know is by growth. I don't have a lab to test for iron content. But, maybe one day, after I get a garage with a lift! Always wanted a lift for my cars so I could work on them without bending over, or sliding under. Old age is a bummer.
GrampsGrunge and GrampsGrunge like this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 04:38 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
LOL, asa member of the plus 50 club I feel your pain on wanting a lift for the garage.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Big development!!!

pH in both tanks has dropped to 6.0 or less overnight
KH has dropped to 3dKH overnight in tank without iron, cannot test tank with iron very well because of red color, but assume it is the same. I was able to make out the yellow color for the pH however. So both tanks have plummeted to acid conditions with the addition of the hydroponics fertilizer. So this is a game changer, yes? If this is not some kind of anomaly, then the fact that the ferts caused the lowered pH, will also mean that the EDTA iron WILL be available to the plants. (6.3 pH or below to utilize EDTA iron). It also means that it's a good thing I don't have fish in my tanks when I fertilize! Such a drop would surely kill or at least hurt them.

I really need to test this with the CSM ferts, and others meant for aquarium plants (Not hydroponic ferts like I use), but do not have those since I only fertilize outside of my tanks anyway...except for the leaf zone or Aqueon Plant food, which I will no longer use unless my tanks are at 6.3 or under pH.

Assuming that the CSM and other type aquarium ferts most often used by those with planted tanks do not cause such a drastic change in pH, there is still the issue of EDTA iron not being available to the plants unless in pH of 6.3 or under.

Last edited by AWolf; 04-10-2016 at 06:40 PM. Reason: edit
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 07:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'd be real cautious about this being an actually PH reading change. There also could be a simple light refraction due to the red dye, or chemical interaction change that doesn't represent a real change in pH.

P.S. oops spoke too soon, you referring to the blind test tank.. OK that's pretty unusual for plain water to go swiftly acid overnight.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampsGrunge View Post
I'd be real cautious about this being an actually PH reading change. There also could be a simple light refraction due to the red dye, or chemical interaction change that doesn't represent a real change in pH.

P.S. oops spoke too soon, you referring to the blind test tank.. OK that's pretty unusual for plain water to go swiftly acid overnight.
Yea, I'm no chemist, and I'm perplexed. I've never tested pH in my fertilizer tank. Never cared. No fish in that. I just put the plants in once a month for about a week or so under light, then back in my aquarium. So if someone could chime in on hydroponic fertilizers and acidity, that would be great. I'm doing a test on a 1 liter glass jar, with the appropriate amount of the same hydroponic fertilizer I put in both tanks to start, (without the FeEDDHA, and already in one hour the water has turned from 7.6pH to 6.4....??? It has to be the fertilizer. Maybe the Ammonium nitrate? Obviously this fert is only for hydroponics, so levels of certain macros will be different than for aquarium use. Love to know the reason.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

End Of Experiment

Obviously, the change in pH completely nixed this experiment, but I thought I'd at least show some plants coming from the EDDHA iron 5 day soak. It did no harm. The plants' stem, leaves and roots thickened up. Looks brighter in color. Leaves got a little smaller. I've got another batch of plants soaking.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode