Too-Much Purigen? - The Planted Tank Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lightbulb Too-Much Purigen?

I bought a Purigen "bag" to run in my planted tank. It is only 8 gallons or less of water, the directions say the bag treats up to 100 gallons of water. Will this product exceed the life expectancy with such a small volume of water?? It would be nice if it lasted 6 months, not bad for less than $10 to have super clear water for 6 months!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi Teebo,

Seachem Purigen can be 'recharged' and used again and again. Using the full bag on a tank of 8 gallons it not a problem - it will just increase the time before a recharge is required.

Per Seachem:
Quote:
Regeneration: Purigen® can also be regenerated. As it adsorbs waste products, Purigen® will change color from a pale blonde to a dark brown, almost black. Once it is exhausted, it can be regenerated with a solution of bleach and water. The bleach will literally “burn off” the organics that have been removed from the tank. Watch out for products that claim to be regenerable with a brine solution. That is the regeneration procedure for ion-exchange purposes. A brine solution will not remove organics. While such resins have a limited capacity for organic adsorption, a brine regeneration process only replaces removed ionic compounds. It does not destroy large organic molecules that were removed, which is the primary function of organic adsorption resins.

REGENERATION: Soak in a 1:1 bleach:water solution for 24 hours in a non-metallic container in a well ventilated area and away from children. Use regular 8.25% hypochlorite household bleach (non-scented, no dyes, do not use a splash-less bleach). Rinse well, then soak for 8 hours with a solution containing 4 tablespoons of Prime®, or equivalent dechlorinator per cup of water. Rinse well. For freshwater use, soak for 4 hours with a solution containing 2 tablespoons of buffer per cup of water (Discus Buffer®, Neutral Regulator®). Original color and full activity should now be restored and Purigen® is ready for reuse. Caution: some slime coat products may permanently foul Purigen® and render regeneration difficult. Do not reuse if odor of bleach/chlorine is detectable. In case of doubt, soak beads in small quantity of water and test for residual chlorine with a chlorine test kit.
Teebo and Teebo like this.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I did read that about recharging but for the price, I may just replace it rather than risk not cleaning it correctly or its efficiency being cut. That is if I do not have to touch it for 6 months.
Veritas and Veritas like this.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 10:05 PM
Algae Grower

Purigen's life expectancy entirely depends on the amount of dissolved organics in your water. Even though you only have 8 gallons of water, if for some reason you had a lot of dissolved organics (i.e. tannin looking brown water) your purigen will be exhausted quite fast. However, if your water is already fairly clean and clear, for an 8 gallon tank the purigen will last quite a while. I wouldn't be surprised if it lasted 6 months. You can check the bag form time to time to see how much of it is exhausted. If you notice a vast majority of it is darker brown (instead of the light tan color originally) then you probably had a lot of organics and you need to either recharge your purigen through the use of bleach or buy a new pack. Most people choose to recharge their purigen as the price is quite high when using it in larger tanks however I understand your hesitation with wanting to introduce something back into the tank that has been bleached. However, I can assure you that if you add seachem prime or any dechlorinator to the already bleached and rinsed recharged purigen, there will not be any remain bleach solution. (bleach = sodium hypochlorite, prime removes any chlorine type molecules, chlorite is just a negatively charged chlorine atom)
Teebo, Teebo, MCSLABS and 1 others like this.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Not to mention bleach begins exiting water immediately after added, it will evaporate from open water/containers very quickly. I used it a bin I was treating driftwood in and I was ensured there was no way it would be left in the wood by a member on here. My water does not have tannins, so I am expecting it will last a long time.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 04:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I use purigen in all my tanks and recharge it every few months with no ill effects.
Just follow the instructions oh yes and the cheaper not prime or safe declorination products like top fin etc are of a different chemical makeup and will indeed foul the purigen.
I am sure there are non sechem alternatives and I believe the seachem site states the chemical type of declorinators that may be used so I'm sure there are other "brands" that may be used as long as they are chemically compatible.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Active - 3x 55g, 1x20T
Inactive - 25g, 20T, 10g, 2.5g
Sunsun Pimp #95
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas”
David Crockett
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 04:31 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Too-Much Purigen?

I have to say that I rather like Purigen on my 12g, but I have 2 bags and recharge 1 every month while the other works. When I first started in the hobby I stayed away from all seemingly strange filter products, but Purigen actually works. Recharging it is easy to do so for your tank I would just have 2 bags and recharge one while the other works. 6 months is probably pushing it, but I would think 2 months at least.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks everyone! I added it to one of my tanks yesterday I am curious to see the results!
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 06:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
One of its major benefits is pulling out the tanins if you use any wood decorations.
That was its initial purpose for me.
Came to find out later it functions like activated charcoal to an extent as well that was just a side benefit!

Active - 3x 55g, 1x20T
Inactive - 25g, 20T, 10g, 2.5g
Sunsun Pimp #95
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas”
David Crockett
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 06:48 PM
Algae Grower

I agree you just need to check it periodically. When I started my 75G planted my water was really yellow from tannins. I had a really large piece of wood that I just wasn't able to boil well enough.

Anyhow after many water changes water was still yellow. I then added purigen to my fluval G6 and within 24 hours my water was crystal clear.

After a bout a month I was noticing my flow was down on my canister. I kept cleaning the mechanical filter but still my flow wouldn't go back up to 100%. I finally opened the canister and found the bag of purigen was completely brown. After removing it my flow was back to normal.

I'm now running 1/2 a 500ml bottle in one of my trays along with seachem matrix. Have had great results. This truly is an amazing product.

I feel for the price the results are well worth it.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 07:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I just added purigen to my tank and I am amazed at the difference. My water had a slight yellow color and now is crystal clear. Purigen is your friend!!
MCSLABS and MCSLABS like this.

75G Seachem Flourite

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 02:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Purigen is awesome stuff.
Remember when regenerating to use plain bleach.
No anti-splash additives or scented bleach, these will kill your livestock.
Only use prime as a de-chlorinator with Purigen regeneration.
A total chlorine test is also nice to justify that rinsing is complete.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thumbs up

This is what I decided to do with my Marineland 5 gallon Contour tank, I bought a large bag meant for making teas and Kava drinks, etc, it is a mesh bag. I had someone sew it into a square the size of the original sponge filter, then I added half the Purigen, and had the original Purigen bag sewed in half so I now have two bags of Purigen rated for 50 gallons each. Using one at a time in a 5 gallon tank (with a spare to clean)
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have two aqua clear 30's on my 20L and I have a bag of purigen in both. I have never had an issue. Thats 200 gallons of rated purigen in 20 gallons of water.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 06:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Look how clever and nifty you are!

A DIY kinda GUY

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode