Phosphate was @ 10ppm at end of weekly dosing schedule - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Title pretty much says it all. Recently started e.i. Dosing drys. Have known that my ghetto city water has about 1 "ppm phosphate out of the tap as some sort of pH buffer I assume. No complaints on algae and trying to avoid if possible so I grabbed a phosphate test last weekend, tested the phosphate level the night before my 50% pwc and it comes back @10ppm!!!!! Now I know enough that that seems insanely high. My nitrate was @ 40ish by the way. 0/0 on ammonia and nitrate. So I have been cutting my phosphate back to 1/32 teaspoon to be safe for this week. Keeping my plantex, k2s04, and knO3 the same as I had. My question is basically is it OK for my phosphates to ever reach that high? Or should I cut back? Could that become toxic to livestock/fauna? I just chalked it up to my plants aren't using it as much as other nutrients. So why not cut back. Thanks for any insight on this one. And the tanks a heavily planted 36gallon, darted, pressurized co2, 96wpg t5, 11 on 13off photo, e.i. drys, full leather, heated seats, Bluetooth, just kidding, wanted to see if I put you to sleep yet. Thanks for all help. As always, much obliged...

That's dirted, not darted. [email protected]

Eh (humble bump)

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-09-2016 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 10:13 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Having phosphates that high will just lead to algae issues. However, if your CO2 levels are sufficient enough, this could outweigh the potential algae causing effects of the phosphorus. Have you ever tested your phosphate levels in the aquarium without EI dosing? You may not need to dose KH2PO4 at all if your natural phosphate level is around 4ppm (your nitrates are at 40ppm so the recommended 10:1 ration of nitrate to phosphate would lead to a 4ppm phosphate level). I would recommend stopping KH2PO4 dosing after your next water change and seeing at the end of that week how your Phosphate levels have responded. If they stay at 4ppm or higher I would stop dosing KH2PO4 (make sure to dose more K2SO4 to make sure there is sufficient potassium) however, if your levels are lower than 4ppm after that I would try and find the magic amount of KH2PO4 you need in your tank to manage a level that is ~4ppm phosphate. I had this same exact problem in my 36 gallon planted bowfront and never dose phosphates because my phosphate levels are naturally high without dosing. A few SAEs and a BN pleco take care of any algae that may result of the high phosphate levels as I do not CO2 inject.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode