Mixing dry chemicals with distilled water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mixing dry chemicals with distilled water

Smart or not smart? Mixing my dry chemicals with distilled water to make my solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 11:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
No different than using ro/di. If you use tap water you may be putting in things you don't want in your tank (copper, lead, other nutrients and minerals your local water may contain, same if you have a well). Distilled water is pure h20 created pretty much through evaporation. The water evaporates leaving behind all the solids behind that were in it. The evaporated water is collected and becomes distilled pure water. Ro/di water is purified by force through succeedingly smaller mechanical filters and chemical filters to remove the solids but wastes quite a bit to produce the finished ro/di water. Both are just as effective for our purposes the only concern being upfront cost for an ro/di unit, or continual cost for buying distilled water. If your water is like mine and has a tds of ~1100 that would eat up ro/di cartridges, it may be cheaper to just buy distilled or your lfs may sell ro/di for less than a grocery store. Ro/di/distilled is like a blank canvas of water. Whatever you put in it, is what's in it.

I know I said more than you asked but no, distilled should be off no concern at all. I mix my ferts with it. I'm running a 7.5 g saltwater cube with distilled with no issues. So go for it. You might want to add a few ml's of excel to your solutions to prevent mold and stuff but distilled shouldn't give you any issues. I'd also stay away from spring/mineral water for the same reasons you wouldn't use tap.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 11:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseRivera View Post
Smart or not smart? Mixing my dry chemicals with distilled water to make my solution?
Hi JoseRivera,

It depends upon the distillation process used; if the water is distilled using copper piping for the condensation process I would avoid it.

That said I see you are in the Bay Area of CA. Most of the Bay Area water is supplied by rivers and/or reservoirs on rivers flowing out of the Sierra Nevada mountains and is naturally soft. There are a couple areas around the bay that use ground water and that may be harder. Here is a great page showing water sources for various areas around San Francisco; if in doubt call your local water district.

I dose all of my EI ferts dry now but I used to mix them with water and dose the PPM method. I used our local Seattle water (also very soft) and added a few ml of Seachem Excel to the mix to prevent the growth of fungi in the solutions.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode