Is RO/DI water worth it? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is RO/DI water worth it?

I am a newbie to planted tanks. I am going to setup a 20h shortly and I am trying to decide if I should use RO water or my hard tap water. I use RO in my reef tank but I have read additives are needed when using it in a planted tank. My tap water has a dgh of 22 and dkh of 16 with Ph at 7.6. My RO water has a PH of 8.0 and I can't get readings of gh or kh. I have read that plants can be kept in harder water but certain fish can't. I would like to stick to smaller fish like tetras and otos and would like to have some shrimp. Would these be ok it the hard tap water? If I should use RO, what are the additives I need, if any are needed? I am going to set my tank up low tech with MTS capped with flourite. I found a good webpage about how to setup a low tech tank, and dosing suggestions that I think I am going to follow. It claims the dosing instructions are via Tom Barr. It is just dosing Seachem Equilibrium, KNO3 and KH2PO4 once a week and skipping a week every month. This is the article I have been reading. http://www.sudeepmandal.com/hobbies/...ed-tank-guide/ Anyone have suggestions on what water I should use? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 03:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

To keep soft water fish in this water, I would use a mix of RO and tap water. Set up some tests and see what ratio gives you the test results you want. With tap water that hard you will probably end up with 75% or more RO, and 25% or less tap water. Then I would use peat moss to further condition this water for soft water fish.

With such hard tap water you will not need to dose Equilibrium. You are trying to lower the GH, not raise it. However, Equilibrium also has potassium, so you would probably need K2SO4 to add potassium without raising the GH.

Do not skip with the fertilizers until the tank is well established. Then the substrate (if you are using a good one) will have sequestered some of the fertilizers and minerals the plants need, so if you skip some (vacation...) it is not such a problem.
I would also be concerned about trace minerals, and would dose with CSM+B or similar product. Maybe these minerals will come in from the tap water (often hard water has many other minerals in it besides the Ca, Mg and carbonates that make it hard water), but remember you are adding back just a small amount of tap water.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for your advice. Mixing the water sounds easy enough. What GH and KH levels are good for soft water fish?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 04:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
hi

most people use RO water to breed their fishes and they also use it for some live plants. you will require to add more fertilizers in RO water unless you mix some of your tap water. as a beginner i would stick with the regular tap water and you will do fine keeping most of the fishes that require soft water. i myself have hard water and i have fishes like rummy nose, cardinal tetras and some others. you can also grow most of the plants without any problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy0247 View Post
I am a newbie to planted tanks. I am going to setup a 20h shortly and I am trying to decide if I should use RO water or my hard tap water. I use RO in my reef tank but I have read additives are needed when using it in a planted tank. My tap water has a dgh of 22 and dkh of 16 with Ph at 7.6. My RO water has a PH of 8.0 and I can't get readings of gh or kh. I have read that plants can be kept in harder water but certain fish can't. I would like to stick to smaller fish like tetras and otos and would like to have some shrimp. Would these be ok it the hard tap water? If I should use RO, what are the additives I need, if any are needed? I am going to set my tank up low tech with MTS capped with flourite. I found a good webpage about how to setup a low tech tank, and dosing suggestions that I think I am going to follow. It claims the dosing instructions are via Tom Barr. It is just dosing Seachem Equilibrium, KNO3 and KH2PO4 once a week and skipping a week every month. This is the article I have been reading. http://www.sudeepmandal.com/hobbies/...ed-tank-guide/ Anyone have suggestions on what water I should use? Thanks for any help.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode