Ferrous Gluconate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Ferrous Gluconate

Question I was looking on aquariumfertilizer.com and they are selling Ferrous Gluconate which is kinda costly and was looking around to see if I could find any other places that sell it as well. Now my question is what is the difference between the Ferrous Gluconate they sell for 8 oz. for $13.00 and say this which is $14.25 for 500g?? Im sure there is cheaper places but it had me wondering why the cost is so much higher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So would the Ferrous Gluconate on this site work for a planted tank?
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 01:50 PM

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 02:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillLearning View Post
Question I was looking on aquariumfertilizer.com and they are selling Ferrous Gluconate which is kinda costly and was looking around to see if I could find any other places that sell it as well. Now my question is what is the difference between the Ferrous Gluconate they sell for 8 oz. for $13.00 and say this which is $14.25 for 500g?? Im sure there is cheaper places but it had me wondering why the cost is so much higher.

Ferrous Gluconate is just an expensive chemical, but once dissolved in solution, a little goes a long way. The 8 oz from AF.com will last you years. YEARS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
__
__
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 04:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
www.aquariumfertilizer sells other things for plant tank ferts, CMS+B etc, which may be added to this or DTPA FE etc and KNO3 and the entire host of ferts. Then shipping cost are zero. The source is US made from them. Likely why it's a few $ more.

You can buy KNO3 etc at cheaper(KNO3 is about 24$ for 55lbs, so that's quite a bit of mark up) or MgSO4 cheaper also, or buy in bulk than they sell it also (I suspect the mark up is much higher for these), but it's nice to have the convenience to get all the plant ferts at one place even if it's a few $ more a pound a product, after several years, that's not much difference. If you buy larger amounts, the price goes down obviously(ask them). But I have little need for 50 kg and most do not have a place to store more, or will never need 5 kg's worth.

I'm much more concerned about aquarist getting fleeced into buying way too much light, stupid heat cables, algae control chemicals and other quackery Or paying 10X this amount for bottles of mostly water, with a tiny bit of ferts in there?

Now that's a question.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you for the replies. Now I was wondering would it be best to use this with CSM+B or what else for traces??
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
I used csm+b by itself in my high tech tank and didnt have the best results. Now I use csm+b AND flourish with florish Fe aswell and have great results. You might just want to try, others have had great results with the csm+b as their stand alone micro fert.

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks bsmith. Im going to try the same thing and see how it works out as well.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Thank you for the replies. Now I was wondering would it be best to use this with CSM+B or what else for traces??
CMS+B + Fe Gluconate+ DTPA Fe.

4:1:1 by mass should make a nice trace mix.
This would be good for a KH of say 0-8.
If the KH is higher, I'd opt for CMS+B, DTPA Fe, and EDDHA Fe
8:3:1 ratio.

You can mix, match in between.
Some use the Fe separate also and dose a spike of Fe here and there.
I mix them, one less issue to dose.

This covers most all the bases as far weak, mid and strong chelation/ligands.
No matter what preference, general KH range, you get short easy term Fe, mid and long term Fe for the plants.

At one point, I was going to make a complete trace formula and use this type of mix for the chelators for Fe, and the ratios of traces found in the 55 species that had been analzyed, but I just could not see much difference between that, and simply doping CMS with some trace Fe, I doubt anyone could. It also would had cost 30-40$ lb, when CMS is much cheaper and you only need a little Fe gluc and DTPA etc.

Still, folks drop 110$ for 5 liters of Tropica, or 20$ a liter for Seachem.
ADA? Eck.......even worse.

There's a market for it. Not my market for my tanks though.
I used TMG for many years, so they've gotten enough $ from me as well as other companies.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Tom thanks for the replies. I placed a order today with aquariumfertilizer.com order some CMS+B since I was running low and Fe Gluconate to try it out. I already have DTPA Fe so I didnt need any more of that. Im going to mix 500 mL of it up and start dosing that right away to see if I see a difference.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 04:52 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thanks Tom, this helped me
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 05:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post

This would be good for a KH of say 0-8.
If the KH is higher, I'd opt for CMS+B, DTPA Fe, and EDDHA Fe
8:3:1 ratio.

You can mix, match in between.
Some use the Fe separate also and dose a spike of Fe here and there.
I mix them, one less issue to dose.

This covers most all the bases as far weak, mid and strong chelation/ligands.
No matter what preference, general KH range, you get short easy term Fe, mid and long term Fe for the plants.

At one point, I was going to make a complete trace formula and use this type of mix for the chelators for Fe, and the ratios of traces found in the 55 species that had been analzyed, but I just could not see much difference between that, and simply doping CMS with some trace Fe, I doubt anyone could. It also would had cost 30-40$ lb, when CMS is much cheaper and you only need a little Fe gluc and DTPA etc.

Still, folks drop 110$ for 5 liters of Tropica, or 20$ a liter for Seachem.
ADA? Eck.......even worse.

There's a market for it. Not my market for my tanks though.
I used TMG for many years, so they've gotten enough $ from me as well as other companies.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom,

When you dose:

Do you mix this dry at this ratio then dose dry into the tank or do you mix a liquid form? Just trying to figure out what the best way is going to be. I've got access to some decent scales so mixing a quality ratio should be fairly straight forward if mixing it together in powder form.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just reading that again has me wondering now as well. Cause when making a solution its saying to do this.

Mixing Trace Element and Iron, Plantex CSM+B,
Fe/Iron Chelate 10%- mix 1Tbsp per 250ml water-
one cap full=5ml

I wanted to make 500 mL so now im wondering what way would be best as well.

For a 500 mL 2Tbsp CSM+B and 2Tbsp Fe/Iron Chelate. Or do we add more CSM+B?
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Quote:
Just reading that again has me wondering now as well. Cause when making a solution its saying to do this.

Mixing Trace Element and Iron, Plantex CSM+B,
Fe/Iron Chelate 10%- mix 1Tbsp per 250ml water-
one cap full=5ml

I wanted to make 500 mL so now im wondering what way would be best as well.

For a 500 mL 2Tbsp CSM+B and 2Tbsp Fe/Iron Chelate. Or do we add more CSM+B?
That would mean take the mix 4 parts CSM+B, 1 Part Ferrous Glucotnate, 1 Part Iron Chelate dry - Then take 1 TBSP of the mixture and mix it to 250ml of water or 2 TBSP to you 500 ml of water.

Tom listed the Ratios above depending on your KH and what Forms of Fe you should use. Either 4:1:1 or 8:3:1 depending on which combination of Fe.

My question was more pertaining if it was possible to dose it dry versus in a liquid.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok so mix them all in a separate bag with 4 parts CSM+B, 1 Part Ferrous Glucotnate and 1 Part Iron Chelate dry. Then after they are mixed add 2 TBSP to 500 ml of water?

I just wanna make sure cause if that is the case my mixtures now must be very high with CSM+B. Thanks again.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode