need help on Iron - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
need help on Iron

i will be getting these 2 for my 50g tank (heavy planted tank)

http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/aq...n-chelate.html

http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/aq...m-sulfate.html

i would love to make 250ml solution for these 2, if i could mix them in 1 bottle then that would be great.

i currently add nitrate and keep it at 15-20ppm.

what's the difference between potassium nitrate and potassium sulfate. what happen if i use both of these wouldn't that increase the nitrate levels way too high. please advice how many ppm of potassium sulfate is needed and also how much iron to add because i currently add csm+b and my water is hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 09:06 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
You could mix those two that you linked together, but most people like to mix all their macronutrients together, and dose the micronutrients/iron separately (i.e. on alternating days, etc).

The only incompatibility is when you mix the iron with phosphates, which will form a precipitate.

Potassium nitrate and potassium sulfate are fundamentally different. The chemical formula for the former is KNO3, while for the latter, it is K2SO4. The former will add potassium and nitrates to your aquarium, while the latter will add potassium and sulfates. Adding both of them would not push your nitrate levels too high, as the only source of nitrates is from the KNO3 (aside from your fish waste, of course).

There really is no specific level of potassium sulfate that is required in the tank; most people dose it to prevent potassium deficiencies, and it is hard to overdose on either potassium or sulfates.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
hi

thanks for reply, yes i understand the reaction of phosphate and iron, which happed to me once. but am only getting better and better at growing my plants. anyway thnx for explaining the potassium, so you are saying its ok to overdose the potassium sulfate but not the potassium nitrate.

could you tell more about the CSM+B because it already contain some iron, then why should i add extra iron.

keep in mind my water is hard.

thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
You could mix those two that you linked together, but most people like to mix all their macronutrients together, and dose the micronutrients/iron separately (i.e. on alternating days, etc).

The only incompatibility is when you mix the iron with phosphates, which will form a precipitate.

Potassium nitrate and potassium sulfate are fundamentally different. The chemical formula for the former is KNO3, while for the latter, it is K2SO4. The former will add potassium and nitrates to your aquarium, while the latter will add potassium and sulfates. Adding both of them would not push your nitrate levels too high, as the only source of nitrates is from the KNO3 (aside from your fish waste, of course).

There really is no specific level of potassium sulfate that is required in the tank; most people dose it to prevent potassium deficiencies, and it is hard to overdose on either potassium or sulfates.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 03:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hard water means different things to different people.
To fish, hard water means high GH. Lots of Ca, Mg or usually both. Nothing to do with iron.
To someone doing the laundry hard water means poor suds and poor washing. Still has nothing to do with iron.
KH is Carbonate Hardness, and this is a buffer that stabilizes pH and is a source of carbon for some aquatic plants. Still, not related to iron.

CSM+B has about a dozen of the minerals that plants use in very small amounts. These are referred to as Micro nutrients "Micros" or as Trace nutrients, "Traces". This product may not contain all the iron that some aquatic plants need.
Other sources of iron may include the tap water (if the white bathroom fixtures are stained red-brown the tap water may have iron), fish food (but very little), substrate (especially an additive called laterite). If, among these possibilities the need for iron is met in your tank, then do not add more. However, most plants prefer more iron than is often available in these sources, so we add chelated iron. Chelation makes the iron more available to the plants for longer.

Yes, it is OK to add more K (potassium) to the tank until the plants show no potassium deficiency, and it is OK to add more than they need. Adding it as K2SO4 is safe in most conditions.
KNO3 is usually treated as if all it is adding in NO3. Test your tank for nitrate. Add enough KNO3 to read between 5-20 ppm. When I add more (NO3 tests over 20 ppm) I can see the fish are not doing so good. If you think of KNO3 as a source of NO3 only, the little bit of K that you are adding is not going to overdose the tank.
Similarly, if you need to add phosphate to the tank you will usually add so little KH2SO4 that the tiny amount of K does not count for anything.
Still, there is some K in these. Perhaps your tap water has more. If your plants are not showing potassium deficiency you might decide not to add more as K2SO4, just let the amount you are getting from the other fertilizers do the job.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode