PTrader: (1/100%)
Which CO2 system is better? debate

Ok debate:

Which is better?

This CO2 system
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...fm?pcatid=9935

Or This CO2 system?
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...fm?pcatid=9933

I don't have a lot of money, but I don't want to lose all my fish and plants later trying to save money now. What do you all think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 03:29 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is that even a question. Do it right the first time. Go fully automatic. I have semi-auto right now and can't wait to go fully automatic. Spend your money now, and get the fully automatic system.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 03:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Ditto. You could do the first one but you are going to want to add equipment later. I do think you can hook the reactor in line with a canister filter and aviod the powerhead in the tank.

Canon Pimp Club #005

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 03:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
You can go fully automatic but please read/research about them before you do. The ph monitors require calibration every so often, they can read innacurately aswell causing a fish holocaust. If you purchased the cheaper manual one and got a drop checker with a 4dkh solution and a couple of plug in timers you could completely skip the complications of the ph monitor.

There is a reason the vast majority of hobbyist don't use them and its not the money.

There are also a myriad different ways to diffuse co2 in the tank aswell. I have never used an inline reactor but I use my canister to do that job for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 04:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (33/100%)
You shouldn't waste your money on a complete system like that . Just buy each component separately and you will save money + get better quality. The most important thing for a CO2 system is a quality Regulator, so invest your money in a good regulator made by other hobbyists such as SuMo or Green Leaf instead of those brand names.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 04:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ath3ist View Post
You shouldn't waste your money on a complete system like that . Just buy each component separately and you will save money + get better quality. The most important thing for a CO2 system is a quality Regulator, so invest your money in a good regulator made by other hobbyists such as SuMo or Green Leaf instead of those brand names.
i would definatley invest in a better regulator, i recomend greenleaf. but imo there is no need for a ph controler. just get yourself a drop checker and shut the co2 off with you lights. sometimes simpler is better. less to go wrong, easier to set...
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 04:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The two CO2 systems are the same, both use the same Azoo regulator, one just has more of the extra parts that can be used. I agree with the others that getting a good regulator is the most important thing, plus getting a good needle valve. Spend your money on those, then add the other parts as suits your desires.

Hoppy
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
How good of a regulator and needle valve do you need when you use a ph controller? I use a Hydrofarm CO2 regulator that is ment for a green house and a sms122 and it works just fine.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So something like this is good, the green leaf cheapest entire set-up. Or just purchase a regulator from them like this one.

If I go with the SuMo its still almost exactly the same price.

So, how often do I have to replace the 5 or 10lb cylinder? Nobody will answer that question. I'm on a budget! (on a 55 gallon tank?)
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

This is the Hydrofarm regulator you were referring to StillLearning.. Its cheap!
What about this and a drop checker?
Any thoughts?
I'd have to add a bubble counter I guess?
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I cant say cause I dont think I would ever pay that much for them. I paid almost that much for my regulator and ph monitor. Also you wont have to replace it but get it refilled. I think it might last 6 months or so its hard to say cause I have a 20lb tank.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

No I have this one but a older model. I used it for when I grew my tomato plants Im sure alot will say dont go with it but I have used it fine with my sms122 and I dont see how a better regulator costing almost double or triple will be any better. Also there is places that sell it alot cheaper I just linked to that cause it was quick since I was on the phone.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks. Now to save up or get a job lol. Was going to get a job anyway...
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 06:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
I think you are better off buying from either Sumo or GLA. Both sources have excellent products and customer service and their regulators are designed for aquatic systems not hydroponic systems.

How often you will have to refill your tank is going to depend on how high a bubble rate you need to run in order to reach adequate CO2 levels for the amount of light over the tank. Out of all the parts required for a pressurized CO2 setup the gas is the cheapest thing and not worth worrying about.

It is a good idea to find out where you will be getting your refills before investing in a CO2 tank. Some places will only swap tanks, others fill the one you own.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 06:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_bu View Post
I think you are better off buying from either Sumo or GLA. Both sources have excellent products and customer service and their regulators are designed for aquatic systems not hydroponic systems.
So whats the difference besides price? Im sure you could use either regulator for aquatic or for a greenhouse. What would be the difference in me spending almost $300 for a CO2 system or spending less then a $100? No matter what Im using a ph controller so it dont matter if I use 10 bps or 1 bps when it hits 6.5 it shuts off.

Tags
co2, co2 systems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode