4Likes
  • 4 Post By Diana
  • 4 Post By Hoppy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Buffering RODI for top off a must???

I'm new to using RODI water in my freshwater tanks. Im using Seachem Equillibrium, as well as Acid and alkaline buffers to make my replacement water.
However I'm wondering if it's necessary to use the acid and alkaline buffers together in the top off water as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 03:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

No.
Quite the contrary- Do not add anything to water used to top off a tank from evaporation.
Here is why:

When water evaporates, just the water leaves the tank. The minerals stay behind, making the water in the tank just a little bit harder.
When you top off with pure water (RO, rain, distilled) this dilutes the minerals back to what the tank was like before the water evaporated.

If you kept topping off with minerals in the water then just water evaporates you would be increasing the minerals each time.
It might not be much, if the water was fairly soft, and a water change would correct it lower, but not all the way back to what it was before the water evaporated.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
No.
Quite the contrary- Do not add anything to water used to top off a tank from evaporation.
Here is why:

When water evaporates, just the water leaves the tank. The minerals stay behind, making the water in the tank just a little bit harder.
When you top off with pure water (RO, rain, distilled) this dilutes the minerals back to what the tank was like before the water evaporated.

If you kept topping off with minerals in the water then just water evaporates you would be increasing the minerals each time.
It might not be much, if the water was fairly soft, and a water change would correct it lower, but not all the way back to what it was before the water evaporated.
As always, so helpful and easily understood! May I have the advantage of your knowledge with a few other questions concerning RODI water?

1) Can RODI water be easily stored? The routine I've found that is easiest on me is to prep the following weeks water on the same day that I do water changes. I store these containers in a dark cool closet. So usually Sundays I'll do 30-50% water changes on each of the tanks and then refill and treat my water containers for the following week.

2) Should I continue to skip all dosing on water change days? I've been dosing with seachem: flourish, flourish trace, iron, potassium, phosphate, nitrogen at their recommended amount but spread out in daily doses. Not sure what "method" this is classified as. Most of the regiments that I've seen others post include a day of no dosing, usually their water change day.

3) Is it possible to do my dosing near lights out at night. I'm just not a morning person lol.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 03:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Except for Excel, you can dose at any time convenient for you. Excel is best dosed at about the same time the lights come on, and every day.

I think it makes the most sense to dose on the same day you do a water change, right after the water change. That is necessarily when the concentration of nutrients is the lowest.

Hoppy
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Except for Excel, you can dose at any time convenient for you. Excel is best dosed at about the same time the lights come on, and every day.

I think it makes the most sense to dose on the same day you do a water change, right after the water change. That is necessarily when the concentration of nutrients is the lowest.
Thank you! I was inclined to that as well but thought that maybe "starving" the tank one day might have some benefit I was unaware of. I appreciate your advise. Going forward I'm gong to dose on water change days.

I do dose excel daily. Especially helpful in the one low tech tank I have. However I'm wondering if I need to or even should (they both have shrimp) continue dosing in the other two tanks both running pressurized co2?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode