• 2 Post By iceburg
  • 2 Post By discuspaul

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Seachem Purigen and fertilizers

Hello- first post here....

Getting back in to the hobby after 20+ years away, and boy have things changed!

I have 2 Eheim 2217 I will be using for filtration/circulation/CO2 injection. Also, will eventually be using PPS pro to dose ferts. I am considering replacing the stock carbon pads in the canisters with Seachem Purigen in bags (2-100ml bags/filter, as a last stage). Are there any known issues with ferts and Purigen?
Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 01:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousyweather View Post
Hello- first post here....

Getting back in to the hobby after 20+ years away, and boy have things changed!

I have 2 Eheim 2217 I will be using for filtration/circulation/CO2 injection. Also, will eventually be using PPS pro to dose ferts. I am considering replacing the stock carbon pads in the canisters with Seachem Purigen in bags (2-100ml bags/filter, as a last stage). Are there any known issues with ferts and Purigen?
Thank you!
got a Eheim 2215 don't use the carbon pads and in place use 250 of Purigen. then got a AC70 with 2 100 bags of Purigen in there also.. With all that purigen I also do dry ferts as well as a little excel from time to time but I have seen no good or bad in my tank with as much as I use
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 03:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Seachem claims that Purigen has little or no effect on removing plant nutrients, and based on my experience of using Purigen 24/7 in my planted tanks over the past 5 years, I believe you can rely on that claim.
I've never seen any negative effects.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 05:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousyweather View Post
Ö I have 2 Eheim 2217 I will be using for filtration/circulation/CO2 injection. Ö
Eheim 2217 are excellent canister filters.
I would put on the bottom a foam first, then Purigen on it and then as much biological media as possible on top.
How large aquarium?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patfat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
How often do you regenerate the Purigen?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
I would put on the bottom a foam first, then Purigen on it and then as much biological media as possible on top.
How large aquarium?

How often do you regenerate the Purigen?

Last time I did it was little over a month ago but that was for the bags in my AC70 have touched the one on the 2215 since I did just put that in a week ago hence it was a new filter I added to the tank!!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 06:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I regenerate every 2-3 weeks when the Purigen beads get only light/medium brown, not dark brown, so that the beads return to their original off-white color more quickly in the bleach solution, and because I believe it extends their adsorption capacity for a longer period of time. I get more than a dozen re-charges without the Purigen losing its efficiency and needing to be replaced.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
How large aquarium?

Its a 75 gallon. CO2 controlled with a pH meter and solenoid combo (actually, have an electronic bubble controller, which will also be controlled by the same pH controller...love redundancy!). One 2217 is filled with filter media, and just provides circulation, the other 2217 will be similarly filled, but supplies water to the CO2 reactor, after which there is a Hydor 200w inline heater, then the water is returned to the tank via a spray bar.
Was originally thinking guppies, but have moves on to class N Endlers (got an uncle into that, who talked me into it)....I kinda like the idea of propagating a species that might be extinct in its natural habitat, or unarguably on its way out.....
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 09:42 PM
Algae Grower

Don't quote me on this but I am sure I read somewhere that carbon pads are a bad idea for planted tanks. The remove too many good things from the water that the plants like. I run a 250ml bag of purigen in my sump and it keeps the water nice and clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
I regenerate every 2-3 weeks when the Purigen beads get only light/medium brown, not dark brown, so that the beads return to their original off-white color more quickly in the bleach solution, and because I believe it extends their adsorption capacity for a longer period of time. I get more than a dozen re-charges without the Purigen losing its efficiency and needing to be replaced.
Would it be wise to alternate 2 or more bags of purigen. I mean when one bag is being re-generated, I put in a fresh bag. Then once the re-generating bag is done, put it in the filter also? I am thinking that by the time the orignial fresh bag needs re-generated, the re-generated one still has a while to go?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 10:06 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John M View Post
Would it be wise to alternate 2 or more bags of purigen. I mean when one bag is being re-generated, I put in a fresh bag. Then once the re-generating bag is done, put it in the filter also? I am thinking that by the time the orignial fresh bag needs re-generated, the re-generated one still has a while to go?
That's the process I follow with mine. Seachem recommends that bags not in use should be stored in clean water as the beads can crack if they dry out after being wet. I put my alternate bag in a mason jar with distilled water when it's not in use.

Looks like I missed where you said you would have them both in. Yes, that is a good idea.
John M and John M like this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 10:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Regarding alternating bags of Purigen, I regularly kept 4 bags on the go in my discus tank- 1 in each of 2 filters (AC 110's) which I rotated for regeneration - 1 bag 1 week, the 2nd bag the following week, while the other 2 bags sat in conditioned fresh water after
re-charging in bleach solution.
John M and John M like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode