Cast Iron pan in Aquarium for IRON trace fertilizer for plants? - The Planted Tank Forum
 87Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cast Iron pan in Aquarium for IRON trace fertilizer for plants?

Can a Cast Iron pan in Aquarium for IRON trace elements fertilizers for plants?

Lets say you have an old cast iron pan that is rusted beyond repair, this could be placed in the oven during a cleaning cycle and any oils or impurities would probably be incinerated leaving you with Iron.

I guess one of the question is if this iron is in a form which can be used by plants and if such a thing may be feasible?

Thanks.
Attached Images

75 Gallon community planted Aquarium. Pearl Gourami,Golden barbs, zebra, pearl Danios,black neon tetra, glow-light, denson barb, Rasboras, cherry barbs, fancy tail guppies, hachet fish, rosy tetra, flame tetra
29 gallon Gold fish tank(1 large fish)
55 gallon planted red cherry shrimp tank, otto, neon tetra, white cloud.
10 gallon betta tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 09:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Rust is not a bioavailable form of iron. I would be more worried about rust stains, at some point it is going to kill your fish and cloud your water, regardless how much the plants like it.
Natural iron levels in parts were say many tetras come form is maybe .5 to 1ppm.
Bananableps and Bananableps like this.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #3 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 02:51 PM
s_s
Algae Grower

It wouldn't work for the same reason that you don't exhale diamonds.
Hoppy, Hoppy, filipem and 11 others like this.

post #4 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 04:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceLord View Post
Can a Cast Iron pan in Aquarium for IRON trace elements fertilizers for plants?

Lets say you have an old cast iron pan that is rusted beyond repair, this could be placed in the oven during a cleaning cycle and any oils or impurities would probably be incinerated leaving you with Iron.

Thanks.
I love your questions. I've read where rusty nails, etc., have been used for terrestrial plantings. I believe the iron would have to be touching the roots for it to be used. If you planted that pan with soil, and stuck it in the tank, I think it would work. I researched leaves for the nutrient purposes. But you'd need a load of leaves to break down in your tank to be of any value. It would be more like compost soup. And to the other poster here, ...I have diamonds on the soles of my feet...does that count?
post #5 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 08:26 PM
Algae Grower

If you really wanted to try this, something like the Lucky Iron Fish would be neater and a bit more fitting. Plus it's a good cause.
post #6 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 09:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Ordinary iron oxide, rust, is not a form that dissolves in water, leaving iron ions available for plants to use. Bacteria can convert rust to a bioavailable form, as I recall, but trying to dose iron in the form of rusty iron isn't a good way to do it. One of the chemists here could explain this so we all could understand it.

Hoppy
post #7 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 09:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

Title thread made me laugh out loud...things people will try )

Chelated, bioavailable iron is really not that expensive, easy to dose and convenient to use... It is not worth it to wait for iron oxide to be transformed back into bioavailable form. Maybe if you had a really large pond and wanted to see the results years after... it will also likely require anaerobic conditions.

On hiatus till later this year
post #8 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 10:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemesia View Post
If you really wanted to try this, something like the Lucky Iron Fish would be neater and a bit more fitting. Plus it's a good cause.
This is so great!
post #9 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 12:09 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Just make sure all the livestock are current on Tetanus shots.
post #10 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 12:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I find it hard to believe that the "iron fish" will put any significant amount of iron in human diets. And, for the same reasons that cast iron in an aquarium isn't a great idea.

Hoppy
post #11 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 01:33 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turningdizzy View Post
Just make sure all the livestock are current on Tetanus shots.
I'm sorry, but this was just really funny lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I find it hard to believe that the "iron fish" will put any significant amount of iron in human diets. And, for the same reasons that cast iron in an aquarium isn't a great idea.
Well, that Leafzone from API is really expensive and its probably 99% water. I was looking at a large quantity of another iron product in bulk and it was like $50 for container of Iron solution. If I can have a slow release of iron into the water from something I might normally throw in the garbage, then why not?

So you need a particular type of bacterial that can convert this type of iron into something "bioavailability ", well my question would be does this bacterial exist in an aquarium/underwater setting or only in ground dirt? Does it really take years until you get any iron bioavailability for plants or are you saying for the entire cast iron to dissolve.

Thanks.

75 Gallon community planted Aquarium. Pearl Gourami,Golden barbs, zebra, pearl Danios,black neon tetra, glow-light, denson barb, Rasboras, cherry barbs, fancy tail guppies, hachet fish, rosy tetra, flame tetra
10 gallon betta tank
post #13 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 06:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Dude...wash the pan with soap, get your metal scrub and apply some force or use a drill and buy one of those metal brushes and buffer the crap out of the cast iron. Wash it again with soap.

Put it on the oven, remove it, apply some flaxseed oil or crisco...repeat the process and bring that baby back to life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #14 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 07:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You must have seen milky rusty water from having iron rust in it... The stuff looks and smells vile.
I wouldn't put that into my drain, much less an aquarium.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #15 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
Dude...wash the pan with soap, get your metal scrub and apply some force or use a drill and buy one of those metal brushes and buffer the crap out of the cast iron. Wash it again with soap.

Put it on the oven, remove it, apply some flaxseed oil or crisco...repeat the process and bring that baby back to life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dude, its 2016 not 1776 . I have high tech nonstick ceramic infused with copper and Titanium made in Gotham steel industry Wayne industries that can melt cheese in the pan without sticking and withstand a artillery shell while having a car run over it. Why do I need to use the same type of frying pan that George Washington used while crossing the Delaware river??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOnKXjjRZkE

10 gallon betta tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode