more than root tabs needed? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
more than root tabs needed?

I currently am only using flourish root tabs in my 75g 120w light setup with diy co2 injection, should I be using any additional ferts? I also have a brownish algae growing on plant leaves and rocks, i have read that opaline gouramis will help aleaviate this issue as well as giving a light break half way through the daily light cycle which i will begin tommorow. My current substrate is sand, i intend to add organic top soil beneeth here in the near future. The setup is about a month old now and my wysteria is taking off as well as my java moss my two cryto plants are doing well too but my micro sword has only been in place for about three days so no clue on its success at this point.

any feed back would be much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 05:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The brown algae is highly likely Diatoms. These things need silica to live, and sand and new glass are great sources. Clean it away, and remove it from the tank. If you get fish to eat it, vacuum their poop. If the silica stays in the tank it is recycled into more Diatoms.
I have not found that Opaline Gouramis eat it. Only get these fish if you are sure you want them. They are very territorial, and aggressive to each other (only keep one per tank) and sometimes to other fish.

Better fish to eat Diatoms: Bristlenose Plecos, Otocinclus.

Root tablets may work well for the plants you list. They have strong root systems, and are able to get what they need from the substrate.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, i added some organic bone meal to the substrate last night as well should this help me long term to ensure better nutient availability to the plants, and should i consider iron or any of the others i see available at the store?

I purchased two fish last night at quarium adventure, they ensured me that they will help out with the unwanted brown growth but for the life of me i can not remember what they are called. The fish are just over an inch long, mouth turned down like a koi and are an off white color with two black stripes down their sides

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 02:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Perhaps Siamese Algae Eaters? A horizontal black stripe that extends into the actual fin part of the tail?
Post a picture.

Remember to vacuum the poop: Any fish that eats this stuff is really just recycling the silica.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for the input i def will do that
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

update yesterday I introduced laterilite to the tank substrate, no just hoping the red cloudyness is gone when I get home from work lol

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode