Plant Fertilizer/Nutrient puzzle/dilemma - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plant Fertilizer/Nutrient puzzle/dilemma

Firstly, my tanks are low tech, supposedly low light, med-stocked and over filtered with a relatively heavy stock of plants, if that means anything. I was having plant issues in my tanks. I was in need of nutrients/minerals. I bought some Fluval Plant Micro nutrients in a bottle and dosed according to the jug and was quite happy. My plants bounced back, were reaching for the light and all was good. Although my plants seemed to stop responding to the light And looked overall weird a few days before dosing and would be resolved within an hour or two of a new dose..I suspect I needed to do my doses a bit sooner than the jug said, I never did as I was afraid of overdosing. It was overall good but with 6 tanks I went through it fast and needed a bigger portion. This brings me to my recent purchase of sechem flourish comp. I got a much bigger jug and it seems to suggest much smaller doses. My plants leaves were laying flat and not reaching for light at all, (this is my sign I use to determine a nutrient need, because after dosing my plants would reach for the light almost immediately).. so I dosed the flourish. My plants were reaching for the light within an hour. But now today, they are not and I just does ed yesterday. The fluval stuff would keep my plants reaching for about 5 days but suggested to dose weekly whereas the Flourish is twice a week. So here's my questions: Does anyone know what is happening here? Does someone have an analysis for the fluval stuff (I threw away the jug) so I cold compare them. Is there a big difference in the two? Could/should I dose more than the bottle suggests? I really could use some help with this.
Thanks, Cory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 01:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Here is a site I recommend reading.
https://sites.google.com/site/aquati...t-requirements

Even if you do not choose the PPS method of fertilizing this site will still be informative.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 02:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I do not fully understand what you mean by "reaching for the light". Plants will naturally open up during light hours to maximize the leaf surface exposed to light. Once the photoperiod is over the leaves will close up. Plant grow towards the light no matter what nutrients are in the water.

If you want to find out the levels of nutrients you get in the aquarium you can use this calculator : Aquarium Nutrient Dosing Calculator

A good guide for a dosing regime is here The Estimative Index of Dosing, or No Need for Test Kits - Aquarium Plants - Barr Report . Your plants will thank you.

On hiatus till later this year

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode