New to dry ferts, help me not mess this up quick - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Diana

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to dry ferts, help me not mess this up quick

Ok, so in switching over to fertilizing with dry ferts, e.i. Method.... I've been dosing with flourish, leafzone for iron, flourish trace, and aquavitro nitrogen..... Been kinda doing every other day with micro macro thing.... Wasn't percise enough at all for me so I purchased the ei package from Greenleaf online..... Has a pound each of micro macro.... Plantex for traces.
I don't want to screw this up, I've done my research but an a little confused for dosing amounts... What's the best route, just dosing drys or a mix for say the week for instance. Does the mix need to be refrigerated? I have a lot of red plants, will I need more iron? Anything else dosing wise I'm missing?

Tank is a 36 gallon dirted, heavily planted pressurized co2, pair of angels, few dwarf neon rainbows, tetras, bushy nose, oto fleet and some amazing shrimp 0/0/10-20 with nitrate dosing... 3kh.... 3wpg, 4x24inch t5s

So if someone could help me come up with a good formula solution for say a week or whatever... I only have spoons down to 1/4 tsp.... I also have a small gram scale if that makes it easier? All help is much appreciated guys and gals? and can I now put away the flourish, flourish trace, and leafzone?? Or will I still possibly need it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0321162305c_1458679250108.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	609009  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 12:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/11...-regimes_.html

The Estimative Index is a method of adding fertilizers in excess of plant needs, then a big weekly water change to reduce that excess.

It is not set in stone, but a place to start.

Here is how I do this:
Figure out how much I will use in 1 week. Put that into 2 bottles:
macros in one bottle, micros in the other.

Figure out how much I want to dose daily. I dose 1ml /3 gallons of tank volume.
I cannot dissolve the ferts any more concentrated than that. So add up all the gallons of all the tanks, and put in that many milliliters of water into each bottle. (ie: I dose 1000 gallons worth of tanks, so I put 1000 ml of water in each bottle)
Shake well.
M, W, F dose 1ml/3 gallons of macros.
Tu, Th, Sa dose 1ml/3 gallons of micros.
Su = 50% water change.

Next, I tested the water after 1 week, and found in some tanks (heavily stocked, moderate light) the NO3 was climbing more than I wanted it to, from fish food.
Since fish food has N, P and most traces, I modified the recipe so I was dosing a lot less N, P and traces, but added K2SO4 for potassium, and chelated iron.

Once you figure out how you want to dose you can mix larger batches. You can keep them refrigerated, or add Excel to the bottles. I find the Excel does not actually stop the goo, but slows it down a lot.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you very much, I did something very similar. Since the low measurements would of been tough for me to find, I just multiplied my micro/macro mixes by three made up 21 ml solutions of each and just dose 7 ml per bottle everyother day.... Make up new solutions every week and refrigerate. If that makes any sense lol.... Loving the control and of course the price of the new dry ferts.... Will see if results are as impressive . Thanks again for your help?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 01:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Smaller spoons can be found on line or at some stores. Look for words like smidge, dash, tad, pinch.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 02:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
http://www.amazon.com/POURfect-13pc-Measuring-Spoon-Set/dp/B002Y3YI72?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00
Dosing Instructions

These two links should get you going

+++++++++++++++++++
Just started Nano

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

++++++++++++++++++++
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 03:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I used this calculator to make my stock solution

https://www.thenutrientcompany.com/a...ei_calculator/

I prefer to make a more dilute solution so the fert would be completely dissolved.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode