club soda = cheap co2 method? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
club soda = cheap co2 method?

this might be a dumb idea, but one i wanted an opinion on either way!

would mixing club soda into the tank in the morning provide enough co2 for the daylight cycle for plants? i am sure there would be long term changes to the tanks Ph level over time but would they be acceptable? watering or leaf spraying with club soda is a land-gardener trick and it contains trace elements that are beneficial to green plants.. I think the same theory might apply to a planted tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

put also some ice cream on top to have a nice cocktail!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 12:46 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Using Club soda to provide CO2 to plants has been tried by Takashi Amano. However, due to the cost, and the lack of control, I believe it was abandoned.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I think the biggest problem is that CO2 leaves the water through the water-air interface pretty rapidly. Adding club soda in the morning would jack up the ppm of CO2 in the water to a high level, which would then quickly decrease back to the equilibrium level with that in the atmosphere. This is just the fluctuating CO2 level that can cause an algae bloom.

Sapphoqueen - do you recommend vanilla ice cream?

Hoppy
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Could you use it in a syringe to kill bba?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellaru View Post
Could you use it in a syringe to kill bba?
I don't see how this would work. People use Excel and spot treating to kill BBA, but not club soda...?

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Was not sure either. What is it in the excell that kills the bba? Is the high amount of carbon or something else?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I think it is 'something else'.

Perhaps... put some club soda in a large cup and put a drip irrigation emitter in bottom/side of the cup. Or air line tubing with a knot in it, just like drip acclimating fish. This might allow the club soda to enter the tank slowly, over the course of several hours. The benefit is lost if it goes flat, though. And if you keep the container capped so it won't go flat, then it won't flow freely through drip irrigation or air tubing.

Vanilla, for sure. Don't forget the Maraschino cherry and a little juice!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Club soda is perfect if you make your own club soda using a tank, regulator and bottle adapter. And while you are at it run a spare line to the tank.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellaru View Post
Was not sure either. What is it in the excell that kills the bba? Is the high amount of carbon or something else?
As Diana mentioned, it is the "something else" in Excel that kills algae. It has been reported that Excel is comprised of polycycloglutaracetal, and that it has the "unintended" effect of killing algae.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Club soda is perfect if you make your own club soda using a tank, regulator and bottle adapter. And while you are at it run a spare line to the tank.

Anthony

and

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 11:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
This would be a very expensive method of co2-generation.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 03:29 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Bringing back this thread, I have a bottle of club soda (no additives or anything), as well as sugar and yeast. After opening the club soda, I noticed that it produces CO2 bubbles far longer than regular soda..so I hooked the cap/airline tubing up to it (don't plan on adding it to the tank). I cut it after observing how much it bubbles (since it's nighttime) but I plan to hook it back up in the morning to see how it does. Just out of pure curiosity. Otherwise I'm starting up the good ol' yeast factory for DIY CO2.

By the way, I have no fish in my tanks yet..;] So I'm not worried about killing anything.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 04:57 AM

I would still imagine that the DIY CO2 with yeast and sugar would produce more CO2 than a bottle of club soda (even if it appears to have more CO2 than a regular soda).

There were several (older) posts about people trying to use a variety of things instead of sugar in their DIY CO2 mixes, however (one of them was trying to put yeast into club soda, etc).

Anthony

and

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 04:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If you had a way to connect a needle valve to a club soda bottle, without first opening it, I suspect you could possibly get a weeks worth of CO2 from the bottle. That would take some really serious DIY effort to make work well. And, you would need to readjust the needle valve at least daily.

Hoppy
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 01:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Well I tried it. I put about half a cup of Schweppes club soda into my 10g in the morning and turned the aeration off. I put a small amount in to see if it had anything in it the fish didn't like. Fish look fine. Out of curiosity I checked the ph a few hours later and wow, if I had put the whole bottle in I think I would have killed the fish. Just what I put in took me from 7.5 to below neutral. Everything looks fine but no pearling which is disappointing. So far the only thing I've gotten to pearl in my tank was some algae a couple of time during the summer.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode