Drop Checker Fluid - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Drop Checker Fluid

Hi all,

I'm halfway through the process of cycling (fishless) my first pressurized CO2 tank. I bought the UP Aqua Drop Checker Solution a little while back thinking that all I had to do was put 5 drops of the solution into the drop checker and then put it into the tank. I now just realized that people add a 4 dKh water solution and a few drops of pH test solution into their drop checkers. My question is then: is the drop checker fluid that I bought purely a pH test solution or is it something different?

Also, if I make my own drop checker solution with DIY 4 dKh solution and pH test drops, does it matter how much of the solution and how many of the drops I put in the drop checker?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 07:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If you make your own 4 dKH water be sure you start with distilled water, not tap or tank water. You don't need it to be extremely accurate. If it is between 3.5 and 4.5 dKH that is accurate enough. Fill the drop checker bulb with that, then add 2-3 drops of pH test reagent to that. The pH test kit has to be the one where the color chart goes from about 6 pH at yellow to about 7.5 pH at blue. That means the solution is a bromothymol blue indicator solution. If you add to few drops you get such faint colors it is hard to judge the color. If you add too much, the solution is cloudy and is again hard to judge the color. The goal is to get a clear solution, with easy to see colors.

Hoppy
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Awesome thanks! I have the API master test kit and the pH test solution is blue, so it's likely Bromothymol Blue.

Any idea what the drop checker fluid is then? It's yellow.

Here's a link:
UP Aqua Indicator Solution - $9.95

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 06:47 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
The drop checker fluid you have is probably a pre-mixed solution (of unknown quality) - it should definitely not be yellow.

The pH indicator solution is bromothymol blue, which is blue, as you mentioned.

The 4 dkH water is clear.

A premixed solution of the two should be blue.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hmm ok. I won't use it then. I made a solution earlier so I'll see if it's changed tomorrow.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode