Planted Tank Guru
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Contra Costa CA
Easy way to make liquid solutions:
You will mix up 2. One is macros, the other is micros.
1) Figure out how much of each you will use for a week. (Start with the EI system, and see what it does for you. Like JarHarms I also adjusted the recipe as I got into this)
2) Add enough water to dissolve these in any amount easily divisible by 3. Perhaps 30 ml.
3) Dose 10 ml each day Mon, Wed, Fri.
Do the same for Micros:
1) From the EI system, put 1 weeks worth in a jar.
2) Add enough water to dissolve it. Perhaps 30 ml.
3) Dose 3 days a week, 10 ml each Tue, Thu, Sat.
Water change Sunday.
For a larger tank, or multiple tanks it will take a lot more than 30 ml to dissolve the ferts. ANY amount of water is fine, the math is easiest if it is a volume that you can measure, and divide by 3.
I happen to have several tools that are labeled in ml, so I use ml.
If you have cups and tablespoons, then use that. Perhaps dissolve the ferts in 3/4 cup of water and dose 1/4 cup daily three days per week.
It is also easiest to mix both macros and micros with the same volume of water. Not in the same jar! Just use the same amount of water to dissolve them, then daily dosing the the same amount. Just one day is macros, the next is micros.