The PPS recommendations called for K as optional, Ö
Please tell me where?
The PPS recommendations called for K as optional, so since there is a heavy fish load I figured I would start without it.
Fish waste does not contribute to K levels. (Unless they consume bananas)
But I realized that this may have been a mistake, so I did pick up Seachem locally and started dosing less than the Seachem recommendations.
As far as the Micro, as I stated earlier I had been using Flourish prior to the dry fertilizer and had put some tabs in so I decided not to start the CSM+B until the Flourish was finished and the tabs had a chance to dissolve.
Not compatible. Try getting the tabs out if you can.
As far as Nitrogen, I am confident in the readings as they appear to go up and down with the decrease and increase in dose. This morning I continued with .5ml and NO3 tested between 25 and 50 on the Salifert chart, but closer to 25, so I would call that 30-35. But it clearly rose 10-15 ppm between last night and tonight same time. So the answer must be that I either mixed in incorrectly (using a Lyman scale accurate to 3 decimal places) or the GLA ferts were perhaps mislabeled or something. Since it does rise and fall in direct relation to the dose, there is a connection somewhere even if the numbers are off slightly.
Ok, something is not right and we have to find it. Consider this, get 1L (1000 ml) of water and test it for NO3. If it reads zero, then add into this 1L water 5 drops of PPS-Pro solution #1 macros. Stir it and test it again. Now it should read 10 ppm of NO3. If it does not read 10 ppm then you need to call Houston, because we have a problem.
Considering that I had 0 N03 and maybe .1-.2 PO4 at most for the past several months prior to dosing, and basically the same number of fish, plant load and feeding habits, I could not imagine what would cause N to rise from 0 to 50 in such a short time period. But since it did, I am either testing wrong, dosing wrong, or the plants are not utilizing all of it each day. I will throw out the balance of the macro and mix over again.
The solutions content is not a secret. Solution #1 macros, adds daily 1 ppm of NO3. Think about your 50 ppm swings in just ten days.
As far as Ca is concerned, I made too many changes in top off and water change parameters to isolate, so I just mentioned it. TDS has remained fairly constant around 135 ppm.
Ah.., so you have one, beautiful. Even though you said ppm, which is not the right TDS unit for aquariums we can make it very usable tool.
So, watching your massive water parameter swings it must have had an effect on the TDS readings.
What is your water source TDS reading? (including the unit, ppm, EC or ĶS, please see https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/11...tds-meter.html
What is your aquarium TDS reading?
So again, my point is that in my tank, which has extremely high light, high plant and high fish load, I was surprised that the N03 rose that much, but it does seem to rise and fall along with the corresponding change in dose, keeping the ratios the same.
The 1 ml per 10 gallon of solution #1 adds only 1 ppm of NO3 a day.
That is what attracted me to the PPS method; not having to tinker with specific ratios.
Of course you donít have to use test kits and change solutions content to make it working. There is too much misinformation out there. In reality, you donít have to use any test kits to use PPS-Pro when you have a TDS meter.
So I will start the micro dosing using the Plantex to see if that makes any difference in the macro test results.
First, I hope the Plantex is Plantex CSM + B and second, the Plantex CSM+B is micros, not macros.
You have extremely high lights, high fish load and less than proper plant nutrients. It is the perfect recipe for a disaster. My recommendation is to dose daily solution #1 macros at 1 ml per 10 gallon and daily solution #2 micros at 2 drops per 10 gallon while keeping TDS reading at tap TDS + 100 with water changes. No need to use test kits.