When do you add dechlorinator during water change - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
When do you add dechlorinator during water change

Good afternoon everyone

When does everyone add their dechlorinator?

Do you add it before you put water in the tank or do you fill up your tank then add it?

If you add it after you add the water back, couldnt it kill the good bacteria?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 10:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
What type of dechlorinator do you use? I generally use SeaChem products (Prime at home, Safe at school). In my opinion you're more likely to dechlorinate your water successfully in small batches BEFORE adding it to your tank. Otherwise it may take a while for the dechlorinator to find and bind to your chlorine or chloramine.

I'm not sure that dechlorinator kills good bacteria. Maybe someone else has a better insight for this particular question.

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Fraternity of Dirt #41
SunSun Pimp #66
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Im sorry, im talking about the chlorine killing the good bacteria

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 11:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
In that case I think you're probably right. Sequester the chlorine before it ever has a chance to get near your biofilter.

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

The Fraternity of Dirt #41
SunSun Pimp #66
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 12:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I always start the flow of new water to the tank, then immediately add enough Prime to treat the whole tank volume of water. I learned to do it this way from the experts years ago, and as far as I know, most experienced planted tank keepers do it this way. And, as I recall, this is how Seachem recommends using Prime.

Hoppy
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 12:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I use an aqueon water changer, and i just add enough to treat the entire tank slowly as I fill.

A 17-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 12:09 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

A lot of people (youtube videos) do this sequence:
* remove old water,
* add Prime directly to tank dosed at full tank volume,
* refill water back up.

I personally want a bit of extra safety so my sequence:
* Fill a container with new tap water
* Add prime to the container
* Run a powerhead in there for about 30mins
* Remove old water
* Drip new water in over 30mins
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 01:21 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
I've always been a little uncertain about this as well, because of the wording on several bottles of dechlorinator. Many say that they work immediately, not continuing over the course of 20 min (or however long it takes to do your WC). In reading that, my understanding is that chlorinated water added after the "immediate" dechlorination may not be completely, if at all, treated. Is my reading of this too literal? Perhaps not all dechlorinators work the same way?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 03:40 AM
Algae Grower

For the past decade I've always just put enough prime into the bucket of new water to treat the bucket of new water I put in the tank. I usually have the prime in the bucket for at most a minute before putting the water in my tank. I've never had a problem with this method

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 03:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingrayness View Post
For the past decade I've always just put enough prime into the bucket of new water to treat the bucket of new water I put in the tank. I usually have the prime in the bucket for at most a minute before putting the water in my tank. I've never had a problem with this method
I know many people do it this way too. This should demonstrate that the timing of adding the Prime isn't critical, since there are multiple techniques for adding it.

Hoppy
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 04:55 AM
Algae Grower

I've actually never heard of anyone dosing the full tank with prime before adding freshwater! That seems so sketchy to me lol but its probably more convenient on much larger tanks. The biggest tank I had was 60 gallons and I just used a big bucket lol

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode