Do you have to do one drop at a time? - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 6 Post By Diana

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do you have to do one drop at a time?

I use the API GH and KH liquid test kit, and the instructions say to add one drop at a time and cap the test tube, shaking it between each drop. Do you actually have to add one drop at a time if you know your water will be around a certain level? For example, my water is pretty hard and I have a GH of about 10, so could I add 7 or so drops at first to so that I don't have to do each one individually? It is still the same ratio, so it won't matter right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 09:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwagumist View Post
I use the API GH and KH liquid test kit, and the instructions say to add one drop at a time and cap the test tube, shaking it between each drop. Do you actually have to add one drop at a time if you know your water will be around a certain level? For example, my water is pretty hard and I have a GH of about 10, so could I add 7 or so drops at first to so that I don't have to do each one individually? It is still the same ratio, so it won't matter right?
I think you'd be ok doing that. The only problem I can foresee is if you get the color change after adding 7 drops and shaking. Then you dont really know if it took 7 drops or maybe only 6 or even less. i dont use the gh and kh test often so its been a while; but I think you can see the color change as soon as the last necessary drop hits the water anyway.

On a similar idea; I do always wonder about any of the tests that require the 2 different re-agents like nitrate. Is it necessary to cap and shake after using the first and before the second?

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 09:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I do that (add several drops then shake) for the GH and KH tests.

When using a 2-reagent test I do shake in between. Some instructions tell you to shake and for how long, others just sort of show a picture of the test tube being turned upside down, like it is just a little shaking. Better if it is well mixed!

Other ways to alter the tests:

If you know a test will read really high (such as NO3) but you cannot read the colors, or it is off the chart, you can dilute the sample with RO or distilled water. For example, instead of 5ml aquarium water, use 1ml aquarium water + 4ml of RO. Then multiply the result by 5.

Another way: Some of the tests have you add a LOT of drops, and it is an even number of drops.
I just take half as much of a sample, then use half as many drops. Same ratio, right? Same results. Get twice as many tests out of one kit.
I would not go less than half a test tube, though. It might get tricky to see the color if there is a smaller volume. I read these tests from the side. If there is some strong color nearby the test tube might pick it up and the color in the tube might look 'off'.

Another way: I generally use the tests to compare how the tank is going over time, not to see if a particular parameter is some perfect number. To do the GH and KH tests, I can get a rough idea if something is changing by stretching the drops out. I will fill the tube only half way, then count drops like this:
1 drop = 2 degrees
2 drops = 4 degrees
3 drops = 6 degrees
This uses less reagent and confirms that things are just fine, as long as it is the same as before. And if there is a problem, I can always re-test with a full test tube and then 1 drop = 1 degree.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks so much guys! Both answers are awesome, detailed, and really helpful!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode