what to use - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
what to use

Hi all....I have been battling off the worst case of green water you can imagine, so bad i could not see, and did not know if my fish were alive for three weeks, you couldn't even see 1 inch into the water..I started doing small water changes first and when it did not help i did larger changes eventually this killed my pleco(sad cause it was my first fishy pal).So i went and bought a new tank set it all up and used the filter from my paludarium that had already cycled, The substrate is a mix of black eco complete and black flourite, it is heavily planted. All was good-till i see the plants looking like they needed a boost. so i added some fertilizer then BAM 1 week later green water, knowing what was coming, i bought a uv sterilizer off ebay, by the time it got here i was looking into a pee soup tank. The uv filter worked like a charm. This is what i have for fertilizer given to me from a friend.
flourish comprehensive plant sup. 0.07-0.01-0.37
flourish excell
flourish potassium 0-0-5.8
nutrafin plantgro iron enriched containing trace elements 0.15-0-0

of these what should i use or not use(maybe a stupid question)also what else should i get. I'm only asking because i blaim my ferts:btw i am using diy co2 thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 12:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

How much light is there, and do you measure the CO2? DIY CO2 is usually a low level, but the Excel ought to help, too.

I have only gotten green water algae from really high light (direct sun).
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

my lighting is 2x15watt t5 nova extreme on a 20 gal tall tank. I do my best to keep up the co2 i do have a drop checker but i struggle to keep it at proper levels, as you say always low. but i was dosing with excell and i was not sure if it measured that so i didn't want to go overboard. As for sun, the tank is in my living room which has a large window facing almost true north but the tank itself is shaded by a large cabinet and only gets the indirect light which in winter is almost nothing. ???? and when there was no plants and i was not giving ferts the tank went two years with no issue.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode