suffocating fish, thriving algae... what am i doing wrong? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (57/100%)
suffocating fish, thriving algae... what am i doing wrong?

Every morning when I wake up, I see that all of the fish in my 46g tank (10 celebes rainbows, 2 kribs, 4 curviceps) are at the surface of the water gasping for air. My tank is /loaded/ with plants (check out the journal in my sig if you don't believe me), and I add CO2 during the day, but my drop checker says that there is /very/ little CO2 dissolved in the water. So then if i have no CO2 and no oxygen in the water, whats going on?

I'm pumping CO2 into the water when the lights are on, and during the day, the fish don't gasp for air. But I also have algae that suggests I don't have enough CO2 dissolved in the water. I'm getting a new, better diffuser that is on its way, but will that help?

I think my main question here is what am i doing wrong? Why are my fish suffocating, and what is in the water that does that to them? I do ~60% water changes weekly, and my nitrate etc readings are normal.

Wilson
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- As of 8/10, gone nano-reef!

, last updated 1/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Is it pressurized co2? Id run an air pump at night with a stone. It helps my fish at night.

Its weird usually The issue with the night time co2 gasping for air is mainly for diy co2 that cant be controlled. Id try the air stone and see whats up.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Nue
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordztech View Post
Is it pressurized co2? Id run an air pump at night with a stone. It helps my fish at night.

Its weird usually The issue with the night time co2 gasping for air is mainly for diy co2 that cant be controlled. Id try the air stone and see whats up.
Only reason to turn co2 at night is to save co2. There has to be something else going on. Perhaps your filter flow is weak, plants also take in o2 so maybe not enough for the fish. I had this problem, and all i needed to do was clean the intake.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 11:34 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
well, when i wake up in the morning, before the lights turn on, most of my fish are usually at the top, but not gasping for air, rather sleeping. same thing right after the light turn off at night,they go to the top and stay their until the lights turn on. so if your fish seems fine when the light is on, then i would guess that they are only resting at the top of the water.

and algae, doesnt necessarily mean you dont have enough co2,but also that you have an imbalance of nutrients.

and BTW , i suggest placing a drop checker on both sides of the tank, because drop checker only measure co2 where they are located.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (57/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordztech View Post

yeah, it's pressurized, so its only on when the lights are. i guess i'll try throwing in an air pump at night. but the thing is, it's in my room, and the filter is already kinda noisy. whatever, i'll deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhkawal View Post
well, when i wake up in the morning, before the lights turn on, most of my fish are usually at the top, but not gasping for air, rather sleeping....
and algae, doesnt necessarily mean you dont have enough co2,but also that you have an imbalance of nutrients.
first of all, that makes a lot of sense! i guess the surface-dwelling fish could for sure be asleep. i'll start watching out for signs of that, that could be it.
certain types of algae mean lack of CO2 though, don't they? i have the like fuzzy algae that grows on the edges of everything and looks all slimy. not BBA though. none of my plants are really difficult ones though, i'm surviving without a /lot/ of CO2, at least until my new diffuser comes.

Wilson

- As of 8/10, gone nano-reef!

, last updated 1/14
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 12:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Maybe your fish are afraid of the dark hehe
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 03:59 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
yh add a air pump at night to drive off the co2 that the plants and the fish are making

as for co2 levels is your filter causing alot of surface movement if so then that is driving it out of the water
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Plants produce O2 during the day, but they consume it at night. So if you don't use an airstone your fish may suffer at night due to lack of O2. Also, if you don't turn off your CO2, you'll end up with more at night than during the day because plants aren't consuming any. An airstone will help with this also.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode