What's next, but cheap? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What's next, but cheap?

33 gallon long, set up in October, added pressurized CO2 two days ago. Plants are pearling quite well already, even the new java moss that had only been in for a few hours. Drop checker went green within first full CO2 application at about 3bps, and I dialed back the metering valve to 2bps a bit when it started to get a tinge of yellow (although my test kit showed my homemade 4dKH solution to be more like 4.5 or 5dKH). Fish are showing no distress.

You can see the relevant specs in the tank profile link here:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/yo...o=view&id=1547

What I'd like to know is the best next step to take (if needed) in supplying plant nutrients, preferably in a relatively cheap fashion. I was dosing Excel before I added CO2, and I'd like to start the EI method at some point (since I'm pretty good with keeping up with water changes), but I'd like to delay as much cost as possible. Is there something that should come first and soon in terms of fertilizers or nutrients?

Thanks,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The coolest fish I've owned: Silver Arowana, Silver and Gold Datnoids, Archer Fish, Anableps, Mudskipper, African Leaf Fish, True Leaf Fish, Moth Catfish, Chaca Chaca, Apistogramma agasizzi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 06:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Buy a pound of potassium nitrate (KNO3), mono potassium phosphate (Kh2PO4), and CSM+B from one of the online stores selling them, for example:
http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/
http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/aq...ertilizer.html

That is as cheap as you can get for fertilizing, and those amounts should last more than a year - much more for the KH2PO4 and CSM+B.

Hoppy
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah greenleaf seems sold out of a fair bit of stuff, but at aquariumfertilizer this would be under $30. Still, this is a hard sell with the wife at the moment... edit: not such a hard sell i guess. i'll order it shortly.

So this is basically the components of the EI method, but without the GH booster, no? At the moment I only have municipal specs for the GH of my water (kH spec was off from test kits result), I hope this wouldn't be a problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The coolest fish I've owned: Silver Arowana, Silver and Gold Datnoids, Archer Fish, Anableps, Mudskipper, African Leaf Fish, True Leaf Fish, Moth Catfish, Chaca Chaca, Apistogramma agasizzi.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 08:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
Another Seattle user mentioned his dKH is at 1 and dGH at 6, which are very nice levels to have! If you have similar, you probably won't want or need GH booster.

I suggest ordering KSO4 as well. It isn't needed under the EI plan, but if you ever want to experiment with PPS or recreating the ADA fert line, you will need it. It is pretty much a necessity for low light/low tech tanks as well.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That is a similar KH to what I measure out of the tap. I've been reading 2dKH, and my tank runs at 3-4 (4 just before water change). It goes gradually up because I've got a few pieces of limestone-based lace rock.

I have the three mentioned above on order at the moment. Looking forward to results. Do I start in at full strength EI, or should I ramp up over a couple/few weeks?

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 10:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
I say go for it, full EI from the start! Of course, I don't have the best track record for avoiding algae outbreaks...

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 12:20 AM
smp
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
You can also get ferts from Rex Grigg

Steve

90 Gal, 4x65 CFL, 2 Eheim 2215, Pressurized C02
First attempt at planted

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode