CO2 and Flourish Excel - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
CO2 and Flourish Excel

Are both the same source for CO2? Right now I can't get DIY Co2 to work so I thought about Flourish Excel. Can Flourish Excel substitutes for Diy Co2?
I have a Eclipse 6 gallon.
Plants: Dwarf hairgrass and Dwarf Baby Tears.
Lighting: 26w Hampton Bay lamp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 10:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
There are a few plants that do not like Excel. Valisneria and Anacharis are the two I can remember right now.
For a small tank, low to medium tech, Excel is a good source of carbon.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

How much Flourish Excel should I put in the fact that my tank is 6 gallon?

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 06:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Use the dosage instructions on the Excel bottle, which say, as I recall, 1 ml of Excel per 10 gallons of water for regular dosage, and 5 ml per 10 gallons after a big water change. One ml is about 20 drops, so for a 6 gallon tank you could use 12 drops for the daily dose.

Hoppy
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 06:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
On initial use or after a major (> 40%) water change, use 1 capful (5 mL) for every 40 L (10 gallons*). Thereafter use 1 capful for every 200 L (50 gallons*) daily or every other day. Dosing may be slowly increased in high-growth aquariums. For smaller dosing please note that each cap thread is approximately 1 mL.

I think after a water change I would use a half a capful then after about 1 mL each day.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

In the growth aspect, which has more effect over the plants? DIY Co2 or Flourish Excel?
In the long run, which one cost more?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 06:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
That would be hard for me to say as I have never used either one. I dose my tank with MetriCide 14 daily and inject co2 as well from a pressurized system.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 07:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

diy co2 is cheaper if you buy yeast and sugar in bulk. i got 2 one pound bricks of yeast from sams club for like 4 bucks. after 1 year i still have 1.5 pounds left. the sugar on the other hand (which i only use for cofee and co2) i go threw a 10 lb bag in about a month. i just dont have room to store a 50 lb sack in my apartment.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Could anyone tell me again how much should I put Excel on my 6 gallon tank? Could I measure it by the cap since I don't have any equipment that can measure by drop.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)
I think initially you need 3cc, then after that 0.6cc. You use a 3cc syringe to dose it.

Initial dose: 5mL/10g= 0.5mLx6g= 3mL
Thereafter: 5mL/50g= 0.1mLx6g= 0.6mL

mL is the same as cc.

Directions
On initial use or after a major (> 40%) water change, use 1 capful (5 mL) for every 40 L (10 gallons*). Thereafter use 1 capful for every 200 L (50 gallons*) daily or every other day. Dosing may be slowly increased in high-growth aquariums. For smaller dosing please note that each cap thread is approximately 1 mL.
http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...rishExcel.html
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 01:03 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak13 View Post
Are both the same source for CO2? Right now I can't get DIY Co2 to work so I thought about Flourish Excel. Can Flourish Excel substitutes for Diy Co2?
I have a Eclipse 6 gallon.
Plants: Dwarf hairgrass and Dwarf Baby Tears.
Lighting: 26w Hampton Bay lamp.
I have a 5g. I started with excel. After 2 months, I was not impressed with the results. It took me 3 batches of diy co2, to get it right. It's been just over a week and I am very impressed with the co2. With the initial investment of co2, I think in the long run it's cheaper than excel.

What problem are you having with your diy co2?
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrack4u View Post
I have a 5g. I started with excel. After 2 months, I was not impressed with the results. It took me 3 batches of diy co2, to get it right. It's been just over a week and I am very impressed with the co2. With the initial investment of co2, I think in the long run it's cheaper than excel.

What problem are you having with your diy co2?
I actually got the diy co2 worked yesterday. It took me the 4th try to get it right. The first two got wrong because bottle got leaked and i didn't know how to check it. 3rd time didn't get enough sugar. It took me weeks to figure out what went wrong, almost give up on this. 4th, I make a new bottle and bought more sugar. (The bubble looks awesome, it still creates bubbles right now, just got to buy a diffuser from ebay).
I just got Excel today from LFS too, so I am asking how much should I dose.
I found a measure thing from the kitchen. I'll start dose them tomorrow.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 01:48 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I actually got the diy co2 worked yesterday. It took me the 4th try to get it right. The first two got wrong because bottle got leaked and i didn't know how to check it. 3rd time didn't get enough sugar. It took me weeks to figure out what went wrong, almost give up on this. 4th, I make a new bottle and bought more sugar. (The bubble looks awesome, it still creates bubbles right now, just got to buy a diffuser from ebay).
I just got Excel today from LFS too, so I am asking how much should I dose.
I found a measure thing from the kitchen. I'll start dose them tomorrow.
If your co2 is working there should be no need to dose excel.
I only used the cap to measure my excel. Each line in the cap is 1 cc, I think. It gives the directions on the bottle.

I used just under one half (1/2) of a capful for my 5 gal.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrack4u View Post
If your co2 is working there should be no need to dose excel.
I only used the cap to measure my excel. Each line in the cap is 1 cc, I think. It gives the directions on the bottle.

I used just under one half (1/2) of a capful for my 5 gal.
By the time I read your comment I already bought the Excel, that stuff is expensive. But then I heard Excel kills algae, so I may need it later.
Just started getting into Dry Ferts by reading threads about them. That stuff last at least a year, crazy! But it kinda hard since we have to calculate and test to get the right amount for the tank, complicate stuff!
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 04:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
By the time I read your comment I already bought the Excel, that stuff is expensive. But then I heard Excel kills algae, so I may need it later.
Just started getting into Dry Ferts by reading threads about them. That stuff last at least a year, crazy! But it kinda hard since we have to calculate and test to get the right amount for the tank, complicate stuff!
Since you already have the excel, you might want to use it in combination with the diy. Sometimes diy can be inconsistant and the excel might help with that.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode