EI dosing info needed - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
EI dosing info needed

Hello all

I just received me EI dry ferts package from NilocG today and I need some help. This will be for a 40 breeder that I am setting up in the next few weeks.

From what I gather this will be my dosing regiment.
20-40 Gallon Aquariums
+/- tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- 1/16 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 1/16 tsp (5ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
50% weekly water change

With my package I also got K2SO4 which I'm not sure if I need to incorporate into the schedule. Also does it matter whether I use measuring teaspoons or a scale? Is one better than the other?

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 10:31 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (127/100%)
K2SO4 is potassium in the form of potassium sulfate, you may or may not need it because the N and P provides some as well. personally I think it's a good idea, K is virtually impossible to dose too much. You should add roughly as much as KNO3, or a bit less.

Personally I like scales because you can do a better job of dosing specific ppms of everything, also easier to make precise adjustments. But it really doesnt matter, generally speaking there's no need to get all that specific to begin with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I forgot a couple other questions. Should I be dosing before the lights come on? Also I would assume I should turn my filter off when dosing but for how long?

Just a noob

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 10:47 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (127/100%)
Around the start of the photo period is what most people do, hour or two before. Its nothing critical, best to do it around the same time every day for the most part. There's no need to turn the filter off.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
I agree with what burr said. Pm me if you have any other questions.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 12:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I have a 40b i dose 1/4 t potassium nitate, 1/4 potassium sulfate and 1/16 mono phosphate. For trace i did 24g in 500ml of csm+b and dose 3ml.

I think that is the trace mix ill have to check. More lean on traces worked better for me.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 12:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
K2SO4 is potassium in the form of potassium sulfate, you may or may not need it because the N and P provides some as well. personally I think it's a good idea, K is virtually impossible to dose too much. You should add roughly as much as KNO3, or a bit less.

Personally I like scales because you can do a better job of dosing specific ppms of everything, also easier to make precise adjustments. But it really doesnt matter, generally speaking there's no need to get all that specific to begin with.
I can confirm that you don't need to dose K2SO4 as part of the regular fertilization. I would dose a one time of 5-10 ppm K and let the KNO3 and KH2PO4 provide the additional K in the tank.

I noticed in all my tanks that the K levels tend to increase over time even if the N or P is going lower. So most of the time you end up with the higher K than what you started with.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 12:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you are adding fish food, then the fish food can supply some N and P and most traces.
Fish food is low in K and Fe.

Start dosing the EI recipe.
If the NO3 rises too high, then you might use less KNO3, but substitute some K2SO4. This will supply the potassium without quite so much NO3.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Cool, thanks for all the info. I'm sure this will be a learning experience and I will have some more questions later.

Just a noob

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode