Water tests for planted aquariums - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water tests for planted aquariums

If you were to have professional water tests done, which elements/minerals would you have tested?

We have a small agricultural lab in town, but the price for a full screening is a little steep. I'm wondering if there is a more concise list of the things we would like to keep tabs on in planning dosage of fertiliser.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 01:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If I were interested in micromanaging the tanks I would start with high quality testing supplies at home. Then, whatever was not in that kit/set might be a target for lab testing. Especially if the lab was expensive. Better to spend some money getting supplies that can be reused, so trends could be monitored, not just a one-shot test.

I would expect to find NO3, NO2, NH3/NH4, P, Fe, GH, KH, Ca, pH, and TDS available in a high quality product. If keeping shrimp or snails is the goal, then a copper test would be high on the list. (I do not know if one is available)

I think it would be good to test for K, also. I have not looked for this one, but I understand potassium is one of the harder ones to test for. Might be worth getting a lab test done occasionally, if a home test is not available.

The other thing I would look into is this:
If there is something that you suspect in the water or soil/substrate that may not be common enough to test for so that hobby (or higher than hobby quality) kit is not available that would be something to test for at a lab. This might include things like pesticides, or other things.

The next level of testing would try to answer this question:
OK, so the tests revealed high levels of X.
If I use this filter media or a certain treatment to remove it...
How many liters of water will it treat before I have to rejuvenate or replace that media?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 05:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

Cool

Just a side note. I've been able to get in with a local University's Biology/Ichthyology lab and get extensive tests done for an 'under the table' 10 bucks. Hush hush.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Heh, not bad, would be closer to $75 here.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 10:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

JBL have tests both for potassium and for Cu. Both have worked rather well for me. The potassium test is perhaps not the most exact one but I would think one might be of at most 5ppm which really should not pose much of an issue.

Other than that I think water tests are a total pain in the ass and I hate them with all my heart.
I also hate runing a planted tank without knowing if there is enough of everything for the plants in the water which makes for an interesting combination.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode