strange substance in drop checker? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
strange substance in drop checker?

I am getting a build up of some type of white fluffy looking stuff in my c02 drop checker. It almost looks like a fungus, but I am not sure.

This is in a 100g tank that is maybe two months old. It is moderately planted with a couple of small pieces of driftwood. There is minimal surface movement, however, I do have a Fluval 304 as well as an Eheim 2217 for filtration and circulation. The circulation in the tank seems to be very good.

I have presusrized co2 coming in through a Rex Grigg reactor, however the film was building up in the drop checker before any co2 was added to the tank.

Water conditions are all excellent and water changes are done once every three weeks currently. We have only had 1 death in the tank since it was set up. That was from a fish that was in the tank less than 24 hours.

Substrate is some type of Eco-complete, potting soil, black sand, fluorite, Heinz 57 mix.

I have not noticed any other type of fungus or other white fluffy stuff anywhere else in the tank. I will try to get some pictures, but it may be hard to get because the location. I did clean out the stuff once, but it was back in full force within 2 days.

Any ideas?

Edit: Forgot to mention, the fungus stuff is growing in the bell part where the tank water makes contact with the air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 10:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is there any sort of scum on the water surface? Fungus usually lives on organic matter, not clean, sterile surfaces. Perhaps in the drop checker whatever organic matter there is on the water surface is held still so the fungus can grow. Everywhere else is more water movement than it can handle, or enough water movement to reduce the floating matter to negligible levels.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode