Phosphate fixing plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Phosphate fixing plants

Hello plant gurus,

I was wondering if anyone knows of some plants that use a lot of phosphorus. Are there plants that affix phosphorus the same way that peanuts affix nitrogen. I got a pretty bad bloom of cyanobacteria, and other than lighting, phosphorus was the only other cause.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Why do you think phosphate is the cause of cyanobacteria (blue green algae)? As far as I know, it isn't. Too little nitrates can be a contributor to BGA. Too much light also can contribute to it.

Hoppy
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was going off advice from lfs guy. I know I have a lot of light, but I was trying for that pretty red color from my plants like ludwigia. If it is low nitrates that might make sense. I'm trying my hand at a custom HMF built into a DIY background. I have a supplemental sponge in the corner for the time being, and it isn't stocked heavily. A handful of shrimp (6 cherries, 6 ghost) and 6 panda corys.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 07:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
IME cyanobacteria occurs when you add too much Fe. if cyanobacteria already exist in the tank, PO4 will enhance its growth further.

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have some dirt capped with coal slag, but everything I read on the coal slag said it was pretty much inert. I can't think of much else that would release It high Fe into the water column. I'm thinking of just trying some maracryn, but my shrimp (got some dark red beauties) are already berried. I didn't want to do anything to upset them. I don't have another free tank to put then in either. I'm going to take out the corner sponge filter and treat with antibiotics. After some water changes and carbon, I'll stick the shoes back in for a filter.
I'm hoping to find the balance of keeping the nutrients put of the water to keep this from happening again. I don't dose yet, and my tap water isn't too high in nutrients. (As an aside I lived in German farm country for 7 years where the water was perfect. You could literally take it straight from tap to tank. A little high in copper from pipes, but that was it)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode