high pH and KH: what is it effects of CO2 injection? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
high pH and KH: what is it effects of CO2 injection?

I searching the net on the use of dolomite addition on substrate. I kinda like the idea of dolomite because most trace mix doesn't have calcium in it.

anyway, I was reading the wikipedia entry for dolomite and a local product description and it seems adding dolomite would increase pH, GH and KH? (not sure on KH but since dolomite is called carbonate rock in wikipedia I thought it could raise KH as well).

I was reading the CO2, pH and PH chart in the thekrib but I wasn't sure that higher pH and KH means for CO2 injection.

please correct me if my understanding is wrong. this could mean I need to inject more CO2 to bring the pH to 7?

thank you very much

Tank: 48in(H)x18in(W)x28in(H) | filtration: 2x2000LPH canister | substrate: Up-Aqua Aqua Soil | fertilizer: EI+pressurized CO2 | light: 2x54W T5HO+2x150W halide+2x moonlight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Algae Grower

You are correct, dolomite will increase pH and GH/KH. You are also correct in that it will require more CO2 to bring the pH to 7.0. The real question is why do need 7.0? Certain fish or certain plants?

Regarding the calcium, why do you feel you need more calcium than what is in your tap water? Are you using RO water?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 10:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Whichever way you decide, I would test it in a bucket. Test the water you will be using for the tank, add some dolomite and water to the bucket and test daily for several days. The reaction will be faster than if you put a little dolomite under the substrate, but see what happens.
Test GH, KH and pH before, during and after.

Most fish and plants are not looking for a specific pH, but rather the proper GH and KH.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks everyone

Tank: 48in(H)x18in(W)x28in(H) | filtration: 2x2000LPH canister | substrate: Up-Aqua Aqua Soil | fertilizer: EI+pressurized CO2 | light: 2x54W T5HO+2x150W halide+2x moonlight
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 02:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I think you might want to do more research before you set up a tank with a dolomite substrate. I believe it can be used as an additive to mineralized topsoil set-ups but in smaller amounts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mark
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 03:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Why do you need to bring to 7.0? 1) pH reduction by CO2 injection is not the same as a real reading of 7.0. The GH and KH are still the same, so it isn't like a TRUE 7.0. The KH and GH are important to fish, the pH not so much. 2) stability is more important than ideal.

The Chart you are reading assumes that carbonate hardness is your only source of KH.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 04:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Dolomite can be used as a substrate by itself. It will slowly raise the KH and GH, but regular water changes will prevent that from being a problem. Tom Barr has a tank or two with dolomite substrates, and it certainly looks good, plus it is cheap when purchased from a landscape supply yard.

Hoppy
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 12:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Dolomite can be used as a substrate by itself. It will slowly raise the KH and GH, but regular water changes will prevent that from being a problem. Tom Barr has a tank or two with dolomite substrates, and it certainly looks good, plus it is cheap when purchased from a landscape supply yard.
500lbs of dolomite here:

Got more species of wimpy fish in here than most, been fine for quite some time. If you pour vinegar on limestone and then on dolomite, do you think there's a different response?

Why?
Now go try it and see.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 12:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I stand corrected. What are the benefits of using it for a substrate?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mark
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 01:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If you like that white look...
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 11:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
It isn't actually very white, more like a light gray. If you aren't trying to use soft, low KH, low GH water, and you do regular water changes, there is no reason not to use dolomite. It does dissolve in water, but very slowly, much slower than limestone does. For MTS you would use powdered dolomite, as I recall, so it would probably dissolve a little faster.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode