PH problems, need help. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
PH problems, need help.

I have had my 125 gallon tank running for a few months now. All I have in the tank is Red flint gravel, male guppies, cory's and 4 otto's.

I have had an issue with my PH since day one, I figured it will normally go down on its own as its supposed to. This hasnt happend. My fish have been ok until the last 2 days.

In the last 2 days I lost 1 cory, 8 guppies.

My PH will only register on my High range test. That stops at 8.6 The water I tested was purple, it is above 8.6. I tested my tap waters PH and that is a stabile 7.6.

All I have in the tank is one piece of drift wood that came from my old planted tank, and fake plastic plants.

My results are...

Ammonia....0.1

PH High Range... Over 8.6

Nitrite.... 0.1

Nitrate.... 5. which is the lowest my test kit reads.

What could cause my PH to go up this high and stay there. I do my normal water changes etc. I am going to do a large change, ( half the tank).

What else can I do to lower this. I dont wan to to lose all my fish and have my money wasted.

Let me add my other 3 tanks that also use tap water, are doing great, no fish losses ever. Something has to be casuing my pH to sky rocket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 04:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
I would be more concerned with your ammonia and nitrite readings. In a cycled tank they should be zero. Generally pH is not an issue for most species of fish unless there are large fluctuations.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
are you injecting? co2 can disintegrate certain types of minerals and rocks. Maybe you are seeing the effects of dissolving minerals???

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 05:48 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Corydoras will not do well at such a high pH as 8.6. If your tap water is 7.6, something in the tank is probably adding calcium/magnesium to the water to raise the hardness. I'm not familiar with flint, other articles don't suggest it is calcareous, so it should be inert. Do you have any rock in the tank, and if yes what type?

Do you know the GH and KH of your tap water? And the tank water for comparison?

Byron.

Byron Hosking, MA
Vancouver, BC Canada
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 11:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown 346 View Post
My results are...
Ammonia....0.1
PH High Range... Over 8.6
Nitrite.... 0.1
Nitrate.... 5. which is the lowest my test kit reads.
These readings indicate your tank's nitrification is not working 100%. Those nitrites and ammonia combined are toxic. Another indication of this is your low nitrates. I doubt the higher pH is killing your fish, but it certainly makes the ammonia you have lethal. Below 7 the ammonia turns into ammonium, which is far less toxic. These toxins are far more alarming than high pH.

Quote:
What could cause my PH to go up this high and stay there. I do my normal water changes etc. I am going to do a large change, ( half the tank).
The mineral content of the water is doing this. Do you have any coral in there, any crushed coral, stones etc. What kind of pH comes out of your tap? And, what is the pH after the water has been aged?

Quote:
What else can I do to lower this. I dont wan to to lose all my fish and have my money wasted.
Daily water changes until the pH is right and the toxic ammonia and nitrites are zero.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler79durdan View Post
are you injecting? co2 can disintegrate certain types of minerals and rocks. Maybe you are seeing the effects of dissolving minerals???

I am not injecting C02.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Corydoras will not do well at such a high pH as 8.6. If your tap water is 7.6, something in the tank is probably adding calcium/magnesium to the water to raise the hardness. I'm not familiar with flint, other articles don't suggest it is calcareous, so it should be inert. Do you have any rock in the tank, and if yes what type?

Do you know the GH and KH of your tap water? And the tank water for comparison?

Byron.

The thing is my other 3 tanks all have the same reading with PH. I have corys in all my other tanks and have never had one fish loss. I just tested them, maybe the PH isnt an issue.

I do have some rock in the tank, 4 small ones. Not sure what kind, but I have the same kind in my 90 gallon and havent had an issues in over a year. I did scrub and boil the rock before hand.

I tested the General hardness in my 125. It is 240. Havent checked the tap. I will.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by exv152 View Post
These readings indicate your tank's nitrification is not working 100%. Those nitrites and ammonia combined are toxic. Another indication of this is your low nitrates. I doubt the higher pH is killing your fish, but it certainly makes the ammonia you have lethal. Below 7 the ammonia turns into ammonium, which is far less toxic. These toxins are far more alarming than high pH.

The mineral content of the water is doing this. Do you have any coral in there, any crushed coral, stones etc. What kind of pH comes out of your tap? And, what is the pH after the water has been aged?

Daily water changes until the pH is right and the toxic ammonia and nitrites are zero.

0.1 is the second lowest my ammonia test goes to, as well as Nitrite.

No coral, no crushed coral, just 4 small rocks. I pulled water 14 hours ago from the tap. It is at 8.4. Right out of the tap it is 7.6

Would I just continue to do water changes each day?? I dont want to lose all my fish. Obvioulsy this is the issue. The tank was cycled for weeks before I put fish in. When I did, I did it slowly. Then out of nowhere I start losing fish.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I tested the tap water, All water is directly from the tap.

PH....7.6

Ammonia...0

Nitrite...0

Nitrate...0

Hardness...80

The hardness in my tank is actually 180 not 240. I used the carbonate test by accident.

I just lost another guppy and another on is on its way out.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I just tested the tanks ammonia and Nitrite. they are both undectable as of now.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 03:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Are you giving your tap water a chance to outgas any disolved CO2 before measuring the pH? Mine is 6.9 out of the tap, but 24 hours later is around 8.1 (this is without putting it in the tank).
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yes. I took the pH reading right from the tap which was 6.7. and then waited almost 24 hours to see what the difference was. The pH was 8.4 to 8.6 after 24 hours.

My big issue is losing my guppies from teh ammonia and nirtrite that showed up yesterday. I have lost about 7 fish today, im assuming its sform ammonia poisoning. I transferred them to a established tank to help cut down on losses.
Is ther anything else I can do to try and reverse the affects?

Let me add, I did a huge waterchange which brought the ammonia and nitrite to zero. I dont know if there is anything else i can do, but hope the strong survive.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 04:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes. I took the pH reading right from the tap which was 6.7. and then waited almost 24 hours to see what the difference was. The pH was 8.4 to 8.6 after 24 hours.
Just to be clear, you need to measure 24 hours later (probably less), but before you put it in the tank. Otherwise you can't be sure it's your tank that making the pH go up. If this is what you are doing, then nothing is making your pH go up. CO2 in your tap water is making it go down, but that affect quickly wears off as the CO2 out gasses from the was.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I tested the pH after almost 24 hours before it went into the tank. The water has been sitting in a bucket. The PH after sitting went from 7.6 to 8.6. Its not the tank that is making it go up.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 05:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok, so you just have very high pH water. Sounds like the tank is not doing anything to raise it. However, your GH tests don't sound accurate since you got 80 out of the tap and 180 in the aquarium. You may want to check both results. What type of test kit are you using?

As others have suggested, probably the trace ammonia levels are the cause of your fish problems.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode