Sea Salt (trader joes) raise GH? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Sea Salt (trader joes) raise GH?

I recently treated one of my tanks for ich with Sea Salt from trader joes. worked very well. I've just noticed that my GH in my aquarium is higher than my tap water. Unfortunately, I didn't measure it before the salt add. I have gneiss in my tank for a rock. thank in advance for the reply.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

(after a little research)

I don't think it's the salt that I added. I believe I put a little bit of limestone in my tank. The rocks that I have in my aquascape are not limestone, however, I used different rocks in the substrate under the larger rock to position and balance it in the substrate. I'm pretty sure those rocks are the culprits. Gonna pull them out tomorrow.... If anyone is interested, check out this site:

http://www.rockhounds.com/rockshop/rockkey/index.html

if you have any questions about rock identification.

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 11:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
sea salt is just salt plus minor traces of other minerals

Chloride (Cl-) 55.03%
Sodium (Na+) 30.59%
Sulfate (SO42-) 7.68%
Magnesium (Mg2+) 3.68%
Calcium (Ca2+) 1.18%
Potassium (K+) 1.11%
Bicarbonate (HCO3-) 0.41%
Bromide (Br-) 0.19%
Borate (BO33-) 0.08%
Strontium (Sr2+) 0.04%
Everything else 0.01%

Not much to help raise, but a little.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thanks oves_stocked that's what I thought. There's got to be a funky rock in there (or two)

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode