Activated carbon or no? - The Planted Tank Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Activated carbon or no?

Just got back in the hobby after a brief hiatus. Great to be starting a planted tank again and have a quick question. Something I'm sure I have addressed before but alas must ask this question. Have a 90 gallon and am planting heavily and have an xp2 canister with sponges only at the moment. Wondering if activated carbon is ok or useless or..??? Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 01:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Activated carbon does work, but it looks like very few planted tank keepers use it routinely. If you do use it, you will have to replace the carbon every week or so, because it only works for a short time in a typical aquarium.

Hoppy
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for quick response. Every week? Never heard of that before. Does it strip out what the plants require to any degree? If one needs to replace it every week, well not much sense in using it I figure. I do have some purigen left over from last setup, so maybe put that in the filter. I have read lots of people using that, and if I remember I did also to some degree.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 03:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Carbon is effective only on large molecules, organic molecules, and our fertilizer chemicals are all very small inorganic molecules, except for the chelators in trace mixtures. For that reason it won't remove nutrients from the water.

Hoppy
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 05:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to IUnknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Carbon is effective only on large molecules, organic molecules, and our fertilizer chemicals are all very small inorganic molecules, except for the chelators in trace mixtures. For that reason it won't remove nutrients from the water.
Hoppy,
after the couple weeks, doesn't carbon just become a source for biological filtration with enough porosity to support bacteria colonies?
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 06:14 AM
Planted Member

I use it sometimes, usually to remove tannins. I always remove the activated carbon after about a week.

Keep in mind AC can increase your pH
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 06:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

@IUnknown yes, but at some point they satiate and then things become unpredictable. I don't think you need to chuck it weekly. Yes maybe at the start, when there are lots of large physical particles in the water, but the longer your tank is clean the longer it can go... I don't use it for planted tanks, but for my fry tanks, and swap about every two weeks. most of the larger tanks have two filters in, so I do only one at a time to keep bacterial levels more stable.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 12:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
How long the activated carbon is effective depends largely on how much you can fit in the filter.
Given how little of the carbon is found in most cartridges for HOB filter's,I too think a week ,maybe two before it would be exhausted.
Maybe a little longer in canister if bag/pouch is larger.
Purigen would be maybe better choice ,for it can be recharged four or five times IME.
Have not heard or experienced activated carbon increasing the pH.
Activated carbon cannot release what it has collected through ADsorption(different than ABsorption) unless subjected to temp's not achieved in the aquarium.
Once it has Adsorbed all it can,it then just becomes media for bacteria to colonize same as anything else in the filter.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Basically there is nothing detrimental to using it , it seems. Same as any freshwater tank. Once it is exhausted, just replace it. I have not heard of AC raising pH. Seems using it can be expensive. I think I'll just use some purigen combined with sponges and a polisher. Thanks all.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 05:55 PM
Algae Grower

If you use liquid fert. the carbon will absorb whatever you add to the tank. Personally I only use carbon bag if I had to treat a tank and than remove that treatment or if the water looking murky, as will as very six months as a preventive measure, from the tap water.. Carbon filter will only absorb as much chemicals as it can hold, and than start leaching back into a water, like a sponge. I use a good carbon about 3 to 4 cups poured in a bag and just place that in the filter for the month, when I do my monthly filter break downs. I find it cheaper to buy loose carbon, than buying premade pads.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 06:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrichie View Post
If you use liquid fert. the carbon will absorb whatever you add to the tank.
It is possible to make activated carbon that can adsorb small molecules, but aquarium carbon doesn't do so. Aquarium carbon is very cheaply made.
Quote:
Personally I only use carbon bag if I had to treat a tank and than remove that treatment or if the water looking murky, as will as very six months as a preventive measure, from the tap water.. Carbon filter will only absorb as much chemicals as it can hold, and than start leaching back into a water, like a sponge.
I don't believe this is true. Carbon is not a sponge.
Quote:
I use a good carbon about 3 to 4 cups poured in a bag and just place that in the filter for the month, when I do my monthly filter break downs. I find it cheaper to buy loose carbon, than buying premade pads.

Hoppy
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 12:39 PM
Algae Grower

Hoppy, think about a carbon filter attached to your drinking water either on the sink or even in you refrig. water dispenser, the filter is only good for few months (read the box, this is a high grade of carbon) than it no longer absorb the contaminates, the carbon is full. starts leaching back into you drink glass, hence the taste difference between an old filter and a new drinking water filter. If you do not think I'm correct than please site some information that i have not read i know new information is discovered. Been keeping fish starting in the early 80's,I do not wish to spread incorrect info'
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 05:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The reason we use carbon filters on our drinking water is usually because the water tastes bad if we don't. When the filter is maxed out and can adsorb no more, the water again tastes bad, not because the filter is leaching anything, but because it isn't adsorbing anything. Doesn't that make a lot more sense than having the filter suddenly shift from adsorbing to leaching, which would then open more space for the filter to begin adsorbing again? If my logic is faulty then you could be right.

Hoppy
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 05:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
General carbon for the aquarium industry typically only has an effective use of 6 days before it is exhausted according to past studies. It is also being more, and more linked to HITH. I see it only usefull if you have a specific reason to use it. I've been carbon-less for years, never a issue.

The theory of leeching lends itself from the carbon breaking down to smaller sizes from use, re-entering the water volume. At least the way i look at it. To be bound to the carbon, and removed opposed to being kept in use, dwindling away via erosion.

I'm not into the image, but into the hobby...
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 06:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/80%)
I use a little carbon in small pouches when I clean/change my filter media and sponges.

I think it helps the water look crystal clear and acts as bio media once the newness wears off.

I'm not a big believer that it dilutes the nutrients in the water column unless you're turn over rate is like 10 times per hour or something..

-Mikey G

Last edited by Mikeygmzmg; 03-01-2016 at 06:01 PM. Reason: .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode