Nitrates Always 0! (Established Tank) How To Add Nitrates? - The Planted Tank Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation Nitrates Always 0! (Established Tank) How To Add Nitrates?

I have a problem I think most people in this hobby wish they had; not enough nitrates!

My tank is cycled, and established. I use API liquid test kits and I have multiple tanks so I know the tests are reading accurately.

The tank is 8.5G with about 5 gallons of water in it, I only have a Betta and 5 Amano shrimp, so the bio-load is rather light. I do a 50% water change once a week, I dose Excel daily and Flourish twice a week. After my cycling period, I have never detected a single trace of Ammonia, Nirtite, or Nitrates! The only time I can get an Ammonia reading is right after vacuuming when the tank is a bit kicked up, even then it is less than 0.25ppm which does not even last long before dropping to 0ppm.

This is not necessarily a problem until recently I can not seem to keep my Frogbit thriving, they are having a real hard time producing green growth it is mostly bleached and now the leaves are not getting big the floating plants are becoming stemmy.

I have two ideas on why this is, one is obviously just not enough bio-load since my plant load is so heavy and I add more plants every week! The other is just another side of the same table, this is a riparium and so it has lots of emerged plants with tons of access to CO2 in the air plus they are closest to the light. I believe the terrestrial plants eat more nitrates then my submerged plants do, particularly the grass in the back right corner I got from a pond the root system is massive and requires weekly trim back.

Dosing more Flourish is not going to solve a nitrate problem though, does anyone literally add nitrates to their water?? I could cut back on water changes but I do not think that will help I still need fresh water and keep my TDS down (not that I check for TDS). I must say of all my tanks this one develops the least amount of algae but it still finds its way onto my glass after a while.

Last edited by Teebo; 02-29-2016 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Title Change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 12:24 AM
Algae Grower

Yes, some people dose KNO3 for their tanks. Usually its high tech set ups, but if you're keeping your stock at just your betta, you may run low on nitrates and need to dose to maximize growth. We'll see what others have to say.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 12:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
I have 3 low tech tanks that are very needy.
1 requires KNO3 due to low NO3, another can't keep phosphates up-constantly dosing KH2PO4, third seems to suck up all the calcium so CaSO4 is required.
They are all from the same tap water.
Either the type of plants or substrate makes them different.

I have set goals for my levels and try to keep them there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 01:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Seachem makes a product line of many different fertilizers called Flourish.
The one most people call simply Flourish is actually Flourish Comprehensive. Mostly it is trace minerals.

Plants use other elements, too.

Fish food supplies many of the nutrients plants need, but in this situation there is not enough.

Since the tank is so small, I would go get the other Seachem Flourish products and figure out just which fertilizers will work for your situation.
What is the GH of the water in the tank? GH is a test for Calcium and Magnesium. If the GH is over 3 German degrees of hardness, then we can ignore Ca and Mg for the moment. If the GH is under 3 degrees, then add a GH booster, such as Seachem Equilibrium.

These are the fertilizers that plants use the most of. Get a small bottle of each, and lets see how things go.

Flourish nitrogen
Flourish phosphorus
Flourish potassium

Start with the label directions, and see how the plants do.
Then post back with more questions, you may have to adjust the dosing.
Once you get the hang of fertilizing, you can think about buying the fertilizer more economically. When you buy liquid fertilizers you are paying for mostly water with just a little active ingredient. You can by the active ingredient dry and add your own water much more economically, especially if you decide to start adding fertilizer to several tanks, or larger tanks. (and the old bottles are great for mixing and storing the ferts!)

Dark green spots on the Anubias is one of the green spot algae.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Uh oh, I do not monitor phosphates. I thought I was good with my master test kit but had to buy a GH/KH kit for my shrimp, I also have snails that die on me and I am out of ideas as to why...maybe its phosphates it is something I do not test for so...

Yes the Comprehensive is the Flourish I am referring to. There is rarely any uneaten food, I feel NLS and all pellets are eaten as they are added every once and a while one will sink and he does not catch it then it is lost in the gravel unless a shrimp finds it.

The kH is 3.0 and gH is 5.0, as for anything other than the Comprehensive Flourish things were doing fine until (I think) a battle for nitrates broke out. I do not understand why they can not just put the phosphorus and potassium in the comprehensive formula, I also read they need iron too. Would the Flourish Nitrogen be the KNO3 aka nitrate?

I have more problem with my Anubias getting light burn than algae right now.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 04:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The API nitrate test kit is notoriously hard to use. The second bottle needs to be shaken a ridiculous amount or it will always read zero. The instructions say two minutes, I generally slam it against the countertop a bunch of times to break any precipitate free and then shake a minute or two after that.

Just make sure the test is reading properly before dosing heavily.
livingword26 and livingword26 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I shake the bottle for a min then the tube for a min, I always invert the tube with the solution from bottle 1 before adding from bottle 2. I get accurate test readings with my other tanks, I know for a fact this particular tank gets stripped of nitrates quickly.

Will the Flourish Nitrogen be detectable with my API nitrate test??
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 05:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebo View Post
I shake the bottle for a min then the tube for a min, I always invert the tube with the solution from bottle 1 before adding from bottle 2. I get accurate test readings with my other tanks, I know for a fact this particular tank gets stripped of nitrates quickly.

Will the Flourish Nitrogen be detectable with my API nitrate test??

It will.

I would dose all three of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium. A lot of people use dry fertilizers because they're cheaper, but I agree that given the size of your tank, the Seachem liquids are just fine -- you'll be using pretty small amounts.

I might consider starting with a half dose of each, to see what happens. If the plants do well, stick with it. If still seeing issues, increase a bit.
Teebo and Teebo like this.

Last edited by end3r.P; 02-29-2016 at 05:56 PM. Reason: edit
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Once things are down I will eventually experiment with dry ferts, but I am not spending much on them right now I pay an average of $12 shipped for a 500ml bottle of almost any Seachem product. Excel is the only thing that I eat through but I stopped using it in my "overstock" basement tank now I only use it weekly with water changes down there as more of a supplement than an algaecide since the tank is not for display purposes.

I will at least pickup Nitrogen and see if I can get away without adding any phosphorus and potassium for the time being.

Thank you
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Before I add Nitrogen, I am trying one other thing. I added 2 large mystery apple snails (one is a Pearl snail) they chit like crazy so this might help with the tax on my bio I need.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I need a quicker solution, I have had some experience with Osmocote Plus fertilizer in tanks and overdosing so I know how powerful the stuff is and if you use too much you get a headache nitrite problem. Anyway, I added a single pellet to my HOB and it has now been 12 hours so I ran a test and I am getting for the first time a slight nitrate reading probably 1-2ppm so I will test again in the morning, if it rises anymore I will remove the pellet but this is a very cost effective way to add nitrates but I do not suggest this unless you have done some testing and feel safe doing so.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 01:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Sorry, I don't have time to read over the whole thread, but why not just use dry fertilizer - Potassium Nitrate (KNO3)?
If it's just a small tank, you can make a liquid solution (just mix KNO3 with some distilled water) to make it easier dosing smaller tanks. That way the levels are all measured out on how much ppm you would be dosing. There are smaller measuring spoons out there (I believe I typed 1/8 tsp. or micro measuring spoons on eBay and found some) if you just want to dose dry ferts easier.
roadmaster and roadmaster like this.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Because what I have on hand is Osmocote, if I was to invest in ferts I would buy Seachem Nitrogen.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 04:07 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by end3r.P View Post
I would dose all three of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium. A lot of people use dry fertilizers because they're cheaper, but I agree that given the size of your tank, the Seachem liquids are just fine -- you'll be using pretty small amounts.
I agree with this. I have the same problem in my heavily planted tank--no matter how many fish I add, I can never get detectable nitrates. I use Seachem liquid nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium and it works great. The liquids are very easy to dose and not super expensive if you have a small tank.
Teebo and Teebo like this.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I just tested my water again, and I am hoovering around 1-2ppm so for the time being this Osmocote Plus is doing a great job. I believe it also contains phosphorus and potassium but I can not say for sure.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode