Testing the Water.... confused... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Testing the Water.... confused...

My tap water is lower a much lower ph than the water in my aquarium. Were talking 8.2ph in tank vs 7.7ph in tap... I had an aeration stone going this whole time. I have probably 50 fish in a 30 gallon tank, most are smaller mollies... in fact all my fish are less than 1.5 inches, most less than 1. I have 4 clumps of dwarf hairgrass, and several java ferns, and a amazon sword plant, plus japanese moss ball.

Is there just an excess of o2 in my water and that is raising the ph? Should i yank the aeration stone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 12:25 AM
Algae Grower

do you have coral or other rocks in your tank? they will raise the ph. I learned the hard way.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 12:27 AM
Algae Grower

Whatever you do, DO NOT remove that airstone. That is probably all that is keeping your fish alive at this point. 50 fish in a 30 gallon is really pushing the limit.

Regarding the pH reading. Have you duplicated the pH tests with the same result? Do you use coral sand for a substrate? Are you dosing with EI/PMDD? Are you adding salt for the mollies/how much? And finally have you noticed a problem from that high pH?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 02:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Simple way to test. Take tap water, put in cup, set out for 24 hours, come back, test it. My guess is co2 is added to your tap water by your supplier to lower ph. Once co2 off gasses, it comes back up.

This seems to be common this time of year in the Northern half of the country.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 03:17 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
In addition to the possibilities already mentioned, what's your water change regimen?

If you top off your tank more frequently than you do large water changes, it's very easy for the TDS to accumulate in a tank. Rising water hardness is usually accompanied by increasing pH levels.

The way to solve the problem is to step up the frequency and amount of water that you change, to help ensure that the tank water parameters don't get a chance to shift too far from your tap parameters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 03:22 AM
Algae Grower

I would not worry about such a small difference. My pH fluctuates by .5 all the time, depending on the time of day I test the water. Your pH is perfect for mollies. If you try to go lower and reduce the alkalinity they'll start getting fungus.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 03:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

What is the KH and GH of tap and tank?

Mollies thrive in hard, alkaline water, and I do not think that pH is so accurate a gauge as to what kind of water the fish like. Go by the GH to keep the fish happy. For Mollies I would want it not less than 9 degrees, and much higher is no problem at all.
I have kept Mollies in a brackish water tank. The salt has no effect on pH or water hardness.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

More Information as Requested

Ok, I do have rocks in my tank... 3 mid-sized ones. They are striped, don't know the name. There is no coral in my tank. Almost immediately my fish started acting oddly once i removed the airstone, so I put it back in within 2 hours. The general hardness of my water is fairly high from what i remember in my past tests... considered "hard water".

I don't top of my water... it may of been like 2 weeks since my last 5 gallon water change / of 29 gallons. I use Flora-Complete mixed with standard gravel as a substrate, if i recall correctly. I dont have any excess of algae, more brown dry scum spots on glass... not growths.

I changed out 10 gallons my aquariums water sunday in hopes to lower it a little bit.

I really just want to know how i can bring it down to around a 7 or 7.5, just for my plants sake. Also, I currently just use Excel and Flourish liquids... dwarf hairgrass is a little haggard, and these are all i've used for probably 2 months. Which supplements should I add in additional and specific product names and where i can get them?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode