Is my Setup correct? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is my Setup correct?

72 bow, 265w cf 10,000/7600k mix i think, xp4, 2 - power heads on each side blowing towards center of tank a little downward, xp4 spray bar is in middleish spraying straightish towards center of tank... lights on for about 10 hours a day, pressurized co2 at 4-6 bps... goes into biggest glass diffuser you can get from green leaf aquariums... which bubbles up to top and some gets sucked through one of the power heads and blown out towards center of tank...

lighter fish load, 2 medium angels, 9 rummy nose, 2 small danios, 5-6 small corries, a small bristlenose, a flying fox, a simese algae eater.

My baby tears is now starting to spread more verticly. It is not dwarf, it is regular baby tears. It's not as green as I think it should be. same with my riccia on the bottom attached to a couple rocks... it started out yellower and is now getting a little greener but it should still be a lot greener I think... Some of my stems may have floated up a little and might not be all the way in the gravel so I'm gonna have to wait for the roots to shoot down into the gravel... many of the stems that are definitely in the gravel are doing well...

java fern attached to drift wood is doing very well... anubias species planted in gravel, not the rizome, i know, i know, I'm just doing it like this but their doing pretty well, all have grown a first new leaf so far. I must have had a couple fish die. my female german blue ram just dissapeared, she's def gone, I still got a male in there. had some amanos die. maybe a danio. there was a brown algae outbreak. not super bad or anything but it attacked the top of stem plants and my baby tears... their doing better but I'm just wondering why my plants aren't growing a little faster and why they aren't super super green. I'm guessing I had the brown algae from a fish dying causing an ammonia spike or something.

Have I not been dosing enough fertz?

EI dosing.

Macro NPK - I do the 60-80 gallon recommended dosing right? 3/4 N, 1/4 Potassium, 3/16 phosphate or whatever...

I don't even dose phosphate now cause I get hard spot algae on my glass an stuff...

I even started adding a little potassium and nitrogen on the micro days when I dose flourish... I dose a capful of flourish on micro days... I started adding about 1/4 tsp potassium and 1/4 tsp nitrogen on micro days or 2/4 tsp nitrogen.

could I have a potassium definiciency? nitrogen? why are my baby tears not greener and riccia... their towards bottom of tank. I have to have enough circulation that is so much circulation! is it my fertilizer? what! and why is there a very very light amount of brown algae or brown algae look-a-like debris that kinda goes after older baby tear leafs... its not bad or anything but the older leafs don't look as green and clean as the newer leafs on the baby tears...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

oh and I dose seachem IRON daily a capful, and have flourite mix with gravel
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 07:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You should be dosing phosphates, mono potassium phosphate, for example, at about 3/8 tsp 3 times a week. Green spot algae usually indicates too little phosphate, not too much. Without phosphate the plants can't grow fast enough to use the other nutrients. Adding enough phosphate may cause such a big plant growth surge that you need to increase the dosing of potassium nitrate.

You have more light than needed for that size tank, I think. It is hard to tell from just the total wattage of the bulbs, which isn't important. Is this 5 55 watt PC bulbs? If not, what is it?

Hoppy

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

265 watt CF 4 bulbs 65 watts. coralife.

I run airstone all day 24/7 its 40-55g rated one.

I haven't been dosing phosphate at all. but more Nitrogen, Potassium.

I just ran out of CO2 today and Here i'll post some pictures of tank right now.

No pearling but, to give you an idea... the riccia has never really pearled unless on water change day. Sunday. 40-50% water change + macro. /Seachem Iron I dose Iron daily except for saturday (rest day of all fertilizer).

I will post pictures after this post.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 04:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I don't think you have too much light - my mistake before. But, I suspect you have high light, so you really do need good CO2 and consistent CO2 day to day. The lack of phosphates could cause the lack of pearling. Riccia pearls very easily and is often used as an "indicator plant" to indicate whether or not you have enough CO2 in the water - it pearls if you do and doesn't pearl if you don't. The reason yours pearls on water change day might be because tap water usually contains quite a bit of CO2, so on that day you have good CO2 for awhile.

Hoppy
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

so, I really need a timer for my air stone to turn on just at night?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 04:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You should not use an airstone when using CO2, because that will remove the CO2 from the water as fast as you are adding it.

Hoppy
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

without the airstone going during the day but just at night, with my circulation + xp4 filtration minus carbon in the xp4 (it's probably way dead and I just don't want to remove it cause I don't want to add more that could suck up my fertz. I just don't want to bother with it unless I have to).

based on that. What should my CO2 bubbles per second be around? little surface air aeration... 10 hr photo period, 265w cf. fish load listed up top with additional info. and if I add more fish is there a possibility I would need more air in the tank with my light/co2 requirements?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Tanks looking a lot better, I scraped off algae with a card and started dosing phosphorous...

My CO2 diffuser bubbles are being sprayed to front of tank and float up and sit on the top of the water.... theres a lot of bubbles just sitting onj the top of the water... a little filmy, maybe too much protein in the water or something...

not a lot of pearling... did water change yesterday did 4 buckets worth... I've dosed plenty of Iron, Nitrogen, Potassium, Phosphorous, and Micro (Flourish)...

Still no pearling... I think I have plenty of circulation... plenty of light.... plenty of little co2 bubbles being blown around tank... and even sitting on the top not popping...

what's wrong? just don't get it... java fern is pearling a little... some plants are pearling a little... Riccia isn't... baby tears aren't but they are growing on ground which is nice... don't have to clip them and train them to grow low... I think I just have enough light as it is to force the baby tears to grow vertically and no they aren't dwarf baby tears. Just regular.

Why is my stuff not pearling?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

oh and I noticed one of the anubias is flowering or gonna open soon and flower... so the water chemistry must be pretty good... the plants look pretty damn healthy too... I chopped my red ones down a lot and created a sloped pathway look...
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I upped my dosing a lot today...

Dry Fertilizer:
About 1.2 tspn Nitrogen
About .25 tspn Phosphorous
About .50 tspn Potassium

Flourish - Trace (Not Flourish)
4 capfuls (20g per 5 ml)
Flourish - Iron
(Capful and at least half) (about 70-90 gallons worth on flourish dosing recommendation)

I've already had pressurized CO2 running at 4-6 bps
(CO2 is diffused through GLA's largest glass diffuser sold setup at bottom of tank in back corner, the diffused bubbles travel up and are for the most part sucked up through 30 gallon rated power head sitting at top of tank that blows them at the middle front, of tank from the back corner, slightly angled down so bubbles travel low)

I have Another Power head on top in other back corner that blows towards center as well... CO2 bubble mist kind of floats to top of tank and just sit there unpopped, not a lot of current on very top of tank, but should be good current through tank with XP4 spray bar and two powerheads...

maybe I need to adjust other one... a piece of drift wood with lots of java fern kind of obscures flow from getting to other side a tiny tiny bit maybe... but both sides seem to lack what is missing for better growth...

265 W CF Coralife 6,700K/10,000k 5-7 month old bulbs (10 Hour Photo Period)

Regular dosing has been EI + Flourish (now I'm just dosing straight Flourish Trace Instead as long as I had extra big bottle around)

Heavily planted, Riccia should be more green looking, java fern glows a nice green and grows fast in my tank, anubias look good (planted in gravel, Rizome above gravel), Stem plants do decent but seem to have stunted growth and are not as vibrant with color as they should be.

Fish Load:
2 medium sized Koi Angel
5 German Blue Ram (1 pretty good size/color, rest smaller but good coloration)
4 pearl danios
1 albino bristlenose
9 Rummy Nose Tetra

Plants:

LOTS of Java fern, Tons
Decent Amount of Baby Tears some growing vertically some growing more horizontally
Stem Plants Good Amount for 72 but a lot aren't that tall yet
Dwarf Tiger Lotus (good coloration, some parts of leaves turning greenish-black transparent)
Water Sprite 1 stem, pretty bushy, lighter green, stunted growth
anubias - 3 different kinds maybe 10-12 plants
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

What could be reason for stunted growth and no pearling... i've dosed a ton of fertilizer today micro and macro, and upped my co2 bps a little while ago

I'll adjust my power heads for decent current around tank and a slight top ripple for a very small amount of oxygenation/co2 loss

I also have 5-6 peppered dwarf cories
a small SAE and Small Flying Fox
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Riccia towards top of tank pearled yesterday nicely... there are lots of co2 bubbles up top... is it light not penetrating deep enough or co2?

I have light fixture on the legs for it, open water top
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

can anyone help me out please.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode