Water is at 180 gh when it used to be 40 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water is at 180 gh when it used to be 40

I had a nitrite scare about a month ago after I changed my filter not realizing I would be putting it into a mini cycle . so ended up doing a lot of water changes with 5 times the amount dosing of Seachem prime. Now have 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrites and .5 nitrates. Everything is getting under control but my gh has gone from 40 to 180! How is this possible? Will it ever get back to normal? I have all soft water fish and am worried for them. Could use any suggestions or information about this.
Thank you for the help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 02:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Why did you use 5 times the recommended amount of Prime? That is never a good idea. But, I don't know that Prime affects GH. Usually you get a rising GH like that when you have rocks in the tank that are dissolving in the water, usually carbonate rocks, like limestone or dolomite. Rocks with smooth, rounded holes is usually the culprit.

Hoppy
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 04:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Perhaps the tap water is different. Sometimes the water companies change the source(s) and there are different mineral levels in the water.
Test the tap.

Are the KH and pH also affected?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 04:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Many dechlorinators can cause issues like that if over dosed too.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Why did you use 5 times the recommended amount of Prime? That is never a good idea. But, I don't know that Prime affects GH. Usually you get a rising GH like that when you have rocks in the tank that are dissolving in the water, usually carbonate rocks, like limestone or dolomite. Rocks with smooth, rounded holes is usually the culprit.
With the nitrite spike I was told to dose five times the amount. It said on the label and also contacted seachem. I have Seiryu stone could that increase the GH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Perhaps the tap water is different. Sometimes the water companies change the source(s) and there are different mineral levels in the water.
Test the tap.

Are the KH and pH also affected?
Hmm I'll have to test my tap water then. The KH and PH is the same at 40 and Ph
is 6.5
I should probably also invest in a real water test kit... Any recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Many dechlorinators can cause issues like that if over dosed too.
Thank you. If that's the issue how long will it take to get back to normal? I'm in an uphill battle now since one of my cardinals died and I can't find the body. Ugh. Took everything out and did a pwc. I don't want to keep over cleaning my tank though.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-23-2016 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 07:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegallyBeagley View Post
I have Seiryu stone could that increase the GH?
Yes

Share your long-term experiences with Seiryu stone? - Aquarium Plants - Barr Report

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 09:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
This is probably why. Also you should never use that much prime lol. The recommended amount will work just fine.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by klibs View Post
This is probably why. Also you should never use that much prime lol. The recommended amount will work just fine.
I was told by seachem to use 5 times the amount

Thank you. I love the look of seiryu i look up a rock then that won't mess with the gh
Quote:
Originally Posted by d33pVI View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegallyBeagley View Post
I have Seiryu stone could that increase the GH?
Yes

Share your long-term experiences with Seiryu stone? - Aquarium Plants - Barr Report
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1456178625187.png
Views:	36
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	595546  

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-23-2016 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode