50% water changes for EI dosing - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
50% water changes for EI dosing

Apologies for opening a new thread regarding this concept, but the current one discussing these merits wandered a bit too far for me to ask the following:

Are those with tanks larger that 90 gallons really buying all of that fertilizer and nutrients and then pouring an unknown portion of it down the drain at the end of the week?

And are those who truly believe in this regiment with +180gal tanks really preparing 90 gallons of RO water per week, or just using well or tap water. Preparing 90 gallons of RO water uses nearly 450 gallons of actual water given 4-to-1 waste.

I get the concept of not having any limiting nutrients, but does not limiting up to point of detrimental, not beyond, warrant that use of water resources for those in the west or southwest in the US. Europeans I would presume have more water than they need.

Would I be a fool or naive for just observing the plant life and then acting accordingly even if not an exact science?

Born a Pisces, Always a Pisces
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 03:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (89/100%)
Water isn't expensive, even in the areas of the US with shortages. The biggest fee is the general connection costs, not the amount used. If you want to be responsible with the waste water, use it for watering your garden or lawn. If you have a big tank, you're most likely using dry ferts which are dirt cheap.

You wouldn't be a fool for observing your plants and adjusting accordingly. The EI is just a method that works, not the only method that works.
Hoppy and Hoppy like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 03:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbybills View Post
Are those with tanks larger that 90 gallons really buying all of that fertilizer and nutrients and then pouring an unknown portion of it down the drain at the end of the week?

Yes they are, everyone moves to dry ferts, it is cheap.

And are those who truly believe in this regiment with +180gal tanks really preparing 90 gallons of RO water per week, or just using well or tap water. Preparing 90 gallons of RO water uses nearly 450 gallons of actual water given 4-to-1 waste.

Some people are, I use tap water and WC based on TDS.
All water changes that I perform are based on some parameter.
7 aquariums and all are different, no two alike, with same tap water.
220 gallons total in tanks, less than 30 gallons WC per week.

I get the concept of not having any limiting nutrients, but does not limiting up to point of detrimental, not beyond, warrant that use of water resources for those in the west or southwest in the US. Europeans I would presume have more water than they need.

Regarding water usage and wasting of water, I have not considered.
I use some of WC for outdoor plants but not much.

Would I be a fool or naive for just observing the plant life and then acting accordingly even if not an exact science?

You would not be naive or a fool for this approach.
I use the PPS Pro & Classic methods of dosing.
Material to read is here. https://sites.google.com/site/aquati...ertilizer/home
It is not a science it is "Guesstimative"

My true thoughts.
I love my plants and like my fish.
I will not sacrifice my fish and inverts just to grow plants though.
I do not presently run any plant only experimental tanks.
Always a fear of suffocating or poisoning by adding compounds of any kind in excess.
Mind you this is only my opinion and I will not participate in WW3 over this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 03:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
You can dose ferts solely according to witnessed deficiencies, which isn't a bad idea, seeing as how people are reporting toxicities (which can really complicate toxic/deficient symptoms).

As mentioned EI is one method, there are others methods that people do, such as PPS-Pro which tries to dose as much as the plants need and not in excess (not easy as it sounds as plant mass grows, you constantly look to adjust dosing amounts to compensate).

My understanding of RO units is that they are pretty much just advanced filtration systems. Do they really require using x4 the amount of tap water to produce x1 amount of filtered/purified "actual" water??? If so, then I had no idea.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 04:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I was a pretty staunch EI guy until about a month ago. I started REALLY cutting back on EI dosing, I have not noticed ANY difference in plants, but have noticed a lot less problems with hair algae.

Its funny how this stuff comes and goes,,,,in the 80's(ya I'm that old) we did everything in our power to remove ANY and all excess nutrients from the water column!

In terms of wasterwater, my orchids grow like crazy with old tank water!
Pattern8 and Pattern8 like this.

+++++++++++++++++++
Just started Nano

++++++++++++++++++++
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 04:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I live in an area with drought and do 50% water changes with a 180 gallon tank that is EI fertilized. The water is keeping an 8x20" garden alive and I have to add fertilizer to keep annuals happy even though I use a lot of NPK+M. Have been doing so for 15 years. It works, the fish and plants are happy and algae is minimal.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 04:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
I use the EI method on two 40 gal. tanks and have great plant growth,healthy fish and minimal algae.if everyone on your block was changing 100 gallons of water a week that may make a dent but with the small amount of hobbyists in any given area that is not even a drop in a bucket.More water is wasted from dripping faucets than what we use and a lot of us recycle the water for other purposes.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 04:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes, RO systems generate a lot of waste water. Some use this waste water for watering plants etc. as noted above. Here's a link to a website that explains the waste ratio. 4:1 is actually the best scenario. If you are pumping the RO water into a bladder tank it gets much worse. A permeate pump can reduce the amount of waste water.

Reverse Osmosis System, water waste, permeate pump, Cambria CA

Back to the thread. I use RO water for water changes and really don't want to change water unless something in the tank parameters dictates I need to. For me this is almost always nitrates are getting too high. Along with keeping RO waste water down I spend a lot less on ferts. I need to test more often but compared to the time I would spend doing 50% weekly water changes on a 125g tank I feel the time spent testing is well spent.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototyp3 View Post
If you have a big tank, you're most likely using dry ferts which are dirt cheap.
So what would say are the annual costs for just the micro and macro nutrients per gallon for a high light CO2 tank. I assume that the amount of dosing is based on water volume in this instance. Thanks in advance.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post
My understanding of RO units is that they are pretty much just advanced filtration systems. Do they really require using x4 the amount of tap water to produce x1 amount of filtered/purified "actual" water??? If so, then I had no idea.
Yes they do and that is when new. As the membrane nears end of life, even higher. And being from North Western NJ, it's not easy to water frozen plants under a foot of snow for at least several months a year. That was a joke.

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 05:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I buy 3 pounds of nitrate, 2 pounds of phosphate, 1 pound of potassium and micros a year, adds up to maybe $40. For a 180 gallon tank that sure doesn't seem like much to spend.

Hobbies are time and money pits, that is how they work. How deep the pit gets depends on how deep you want to go.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
I buy 3 pounds of nitrate, 2 pounds of phosphate, 1 pound of potassium and micros a year, adds up to maybe $40. For a 180 gallon tank that sure doesn't seem like much to spend.
To be clear, that is what you spend on your 180 gallon including micro nutrients?

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 08:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I believe Tom Barr has said repeatedly on this forum and others that 50% weekly water changes aren't required for EI. That he doesn't necessarily change that much or that often. That it all depends on how his plants/tanks look to his experienced eye.

Understanding the value of patience is only difficult while you are waiting.
- - - - -
You are angry because you are weak. It is more difficult to be kind.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 08:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Potassium sulfate $2.50 a poundx1=$2.50
Potassium nitrate $2.50 a poundx3=$7.50
Monopotassium Phosphate $5 a poundx2=$10
Plantex+B $11 a poundx1=$11

I do also use GH booster but make it myself from the KSO4 as I happen to have calcium carbonate leftover from making dog food. Have to come up with something else in 6 months as the last bottle is only half full now. $1 a pound for magnesium sulfate, need a pound of that a year too.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
Potassium sulfate $2.50 a poundx1=$2.50
Potassium nitrate $2.50 a poundx3=$7.50
Monopotassium Phosphate $5 a poundx2=$10
Plantex+B $11 a poundx1=$11

I do also use GH booster but make it myself from the KSO4 as I happen to have calcium carbonate leftover from making dog food. Have to come up with something else in 6 months as the last bottle is only half full now. $1 a pound for magnesium sulfate, need a pound of that a year too.
For a 180 gallon tank?

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 08:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
The dry ferts really are cheap. My tanks are relatively small- 48 gallons total- I do the 50% water changes once a week and am still using the original 1-lb bags I bought two years ago. I probably will have to buy more ferts later this year, but it's such a minimal cost. And like others mention, I reuse all the tank wastewater. It goes on my houseplants and the garden. In winter when I don't have as many plants for water, I actually use it to flush the toilet.

|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode