I'm about to go crazy trying to figure this out! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
I'm about to go crazy trying to figure this out!

I have been working on this for about the past hour and I am about to go absolutely insane. I am trying to use the EI method to determine how to fertilize my new 2.5 gallon nano. For my larger tanks I just dry dose, but for a tank this small I am trying to figure out how to make solutions, and to be honest with you I think I may be going insane!

I have 236.5 mL bottles that I am trying to figure out how many tsp or Tbs of KNO3, KH2PO4, and CSM+B to use and then how many mL of each to dose and how many times per week. I want to make a separate bottle for every fertilizer.

I literally can not figure it out. Can someone help me? I've tried using every calculator on the internet, I just must be too stupid to figure it out.

Once again it is a 2.5 gallon tank and I'm using a 27 watt daylight desk lamp. I would sure appreciate help.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
If you want to use solutions, then:

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...tyle-EI-dosing
http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/EI.htm

Nano tanks ar eimpractical for dry dosing really.

So just take the 10x the volume of the tank you have, then dilute that fert routine amount into 10x the water and dose 1/10th each day.

This adds roughly 1/10th the amount.

So a 25 gal tank would get dosed say 1/4 teaspoon of KNO3, 1/16th of the KH2PO4, 5 mls of trace mix(do not mix this with KH2PO4, keep separated, easy to dose 1/2 ml etc), and weekly: say 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of GH booster after each water change.

So add that amount of dry ferts into say 100 mls of water, dose 10mls of that per day.

You can make the solution 236mls and have a 23 days supply and add the following:

.25X 2.36= ~.6 teaspoon KNO3
.0625X2.36~ .15 or about 1.6th of teaspoon or close/estimate
And I'd add 23 mls of Excel to the mix also and about 1/2 teaspoon of Gh booster. Then dose the trace mix as well at 1/2 mls per every other day or so, or 1/4 per day.

Depends on how you wanna do it.
Liquids just dilute the salts to make it easier to dose smaller amounts.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Thank you sooooo much Tom! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it! The more I tried to figure it out the more confused I got and it turned out to be way simpler than I was making it... go figure .

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 10:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
When you are new to it, it's pretty scary stuff, but it's really really easy after a few times of doing it.

Most are that way.

Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 11:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Chuck Gadd has a downloadable calculator I use.

You tell it the chemical, the amount of chemical and water you want to mix together in a solution, and the size of your tank.

It then tells you how much 1 ml of the resulting solution will raise the chemical ppm in your tank.

I try to tailor my solutions so a dose is a convenient measure, like 1 tsp. So I multiply the calculator's result by 5, because 1 tsp = 5 ml. If the resulting ppm added is too low or high, I change the chemical amount and try again until I'm in the ballpark.

It will give you a warning in red on the right side if you exceed the amount of chemical that will dissolve in a given amount of water. In that case, I go to a larger dose size, like a tbsp (15 ml).

It does not handle CSM+B. I think APC's "Fertilator" calculator handles that, but I work that out by hand. Here's how I do it, this example may be of use to you and others:

1 tsp. of CSM+B will increase iron 7.42ppm in a 10 gallon tank.

I don't use CSM+B alone, I prefer to premix it with magnesium and potassium:
1 tablespoon CSM+B
1 tablespoon MgSO4+7H2O
2 tablespoons K2SO4

The resultant mixture is only 1/4 CSM+B. So 4x as much, or 4 tsp. of dry mix increases iron 7.42ppm in a 10 gallon tank.

Let's say I combine 2/3 tsp. of dry mix with 2 tbsp. water. I chose 2 tbsp. water because that's the size of an eyedropper I have, and 2/3 tsp. of dry mix because it's the max that easily dissolves in that amount of water.

So now I have a solution that contains 2/3 tsp. of dry mix. How much would that entire bottle increase iron ppm in a 10g tank? 2/3 = 0.66, so (0.66/4)*7.42 = 1.22.

Using this solution and the numbers we've figured out so far, we can figure out the amount of this solution to use in any size tank to achieve a desired ppm increase.

Let's say I want to use my solution to raise iron by 0.05ppm per dose in a 2.5g tank.

Since my 5g tank is 1/4 (0.25) the size of the 10g reference I've calculated everything for, the entire bottle would raise my tank ppm by 1.22/0.25=4.88. That's certainly too much. Instead, figure out how many doses the bottle contains: 4.88/0.05=97.6 doses.

I have 2 tbsp of solution to divide into 97.6 doses. 2/48.8=0.02 tbsp per dose.

I know 192 drops from my eyedropper equals 1 tbsp, because I tried it, and wrote it down so I'd never have to do it again.

How many drops do I need for a dose? 0.02*192=3.8. A dose is 4 drops.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 03:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I look at it this way:
Step 1 put a week's worth of powder in a jar.
Step 2 put a weeks worth of water in the jar. Shake.

Eyedropper out every other day, the amount I want to use for each tank.

Example: Lets say that 1 weeks worth of something is 1 gram. Put 1 gram in the jar.
I want to dose one tank, 3 times during the week (that is every other day). Put 15 ml of water in the jar. Shake.

Dose every other day, 5 ml each day.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode