buying liquid fertilizer for the 1st time - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
buying liquid fertilizer for the 1st time

.what am i looking for? any one brand better than another? high light/ co2 set-up. thanks. i would prefer an all in one type if possible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 04:26 PM
msc
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
Go dry you will save a lot of money in the end. If you buy the liquid you’re just paying for them to mix and ship water. This is a good package to get you going. http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizers-supplements/micro-macro-fertilizers.html It will last you very long time.
Do a search for Estimative Index Fertilization Method or PPS-PRO
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 04:51 PM
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
You're just in time. If you've never bought liquid ferts, now is the best time to not start.

65 gallon journal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i want pre pack liquid! i have enough chemicals with my 3 reef tanks.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 06:49 PM
Banned

There is nothing easier about measuring a liquid than sticking a measuring spoon into a pile of fertilizer. You are however free to spend your money as you like.

There is not going to be any all-in-one liquid fertilizer. Some things can't be dosed together.

65 gallon journal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 07:37 PM
GTR
Banned

PTrader: (13/100%)
You can go with Seachem and have six or seven different bottles to dose. It's a good line that will help you grow your plants. With the DIY dry mixes you can premix a supply with water and end up with two bottles.

SteveU
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 08:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
for micros i use Tropica Plant Nutrition. Available at Big Al's
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
If you have a high light, high tech setup you are not going to get good results using liquid ferts. It will cost a fortune trying to keep adequate levels in the tank. Liquid ferts work best for small lower light tanks. How big is your tank? How much light?

Agree that you are free to spend your money as you wish and that there is not going to be an all-in-one liquid dosing solution.

$20 will buy you over a years supply of dry macro and micro ferts.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Dry fertz are the least expensive. All here use them successfully.

I use Pfertz products. They are more affordable than other commercial products and are VERY effective.

Cost is higher than dry for sure, it looks like I will spend about $80/yr on my 84g at current rate. Compared to $20 for dry it is a big difference.

For me though, the guaranteed success, no headaches, convenience and quality of the products are worth the extra money. I travel a lot, the kids (3 and 7) dose for me and have fun doing it. Its foolproof and for me, ANY time saved, is time given back to the kids, so its worth it to me. YMMV.

If cost is the highest priority, best to start with dry and stick with it, don;t go to the dark side

Good luck.

Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobt2 View Post
i want pre pack liquid! i have enough chemicals with my 3 reef tanks.
Bob as you are finding out most people on this board will staunchly recommend dry ferts. They are very good and work well. I think you should know that you won't find everything in one bottle if you do decide to use liquid ferts, you will still have to add liquids from various bottles to dose NPK and Micros. At least I don't know if there a product that claims to be all inclusive.

I use dry ferts mixed into solution - one each for NPK and dose Tropica for micros. It works well for me.

If you do find an all inclusive product please let me know....I'd like to try it also!
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 11:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJAquaBarren View Post

I use Pfertz products. They are more affordable than other commercial products and are VERY effective.

Cost is higher than dry for sure, it looks like I will spend about $80/yr on my 84g at current rate. Compared to $20 for dry it is a big difference.

For me though, the guaranteed success, no headaches, convenience and quality of the products are worth the extra money. I travel a lot, the kids (3 and 7) dose for me and have fun doing it. Its foolproof and for me, ANY time saved, is time given back to the kids, so its worth it to me. YMMV.

If cost is the highest priority, best to start with dry and stick with it, don;t go to the dark side

Good luck.
Pfertz has a great reputation, has a loyal fan base, and is a good middle of the road solution.

65 gallon journal:

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 12:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJAquaBarren View Post

Good luck.
I honestly think that dosing dry is no headache at all. If you wanted to dose them mixed you could easily too, and there are a LOT of bottle that provide 1 mL pumps. I am not saying pFertz is bad, but i think unless you give dry a try, it is silly to say that they are any sort of headache.

Once you decide which EI dose you need, it is really simple. I just write it on the bag and leave the appropriate spoon in the bag all the time. My CSM is mixed so I just pump. I could mix the others, but haven't.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yea, i guess i thought it was going to be less work than my reefs. tank is a 75 with 4x54 hot5 bulbs about 12" above the glass top
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 12:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
I would definitely go dry then. Simply because the principle of EI is to basically waste ferts. If you use EI with PFertz(and that is basically what it is) then you are wasting a lot more money.

THey are great products, but little leaves me to believe they are anything more than dry ferts in solution, with pretty bottles(head over to barrreport.com to see a few opinions).

Figure out your EI dosing regimine in the dosing sticky above this thread. Then order from Greenleafaquariums.com or aquariumplants.com or your local hydroponics store, then order enough measuring spoons in the small sizes you need to be able to just keep the appropriate spoon in each bag/jar. I like the little storage containers found at walmart or target in the kitchen section. The nice looking metal or glass ones. I label them with a marker(it wipes off with alcohol).

Good Luck. Dry might seem challenging, but it really is simple to pull off. If I can do it, any moron can.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 12:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
O er stocked. You're right. But I didn't have to "decide" anything. Number of pumps is right on the bottle. Fertz just aren't something that I want to think about, mix up, or anything.

That's just me.

Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode