Dosing help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Dosing help

I'm sure everyone gets tired of answering the same old post over over, so if my post is similar to someone else could i get a link? I looked at the dosing sticky but i used flourish for my trace and not the Plantex CSM+B so im not sure what i should do.

I got a 37 gallon tank, with injected co2 ~35ppm
Lights 2X55 watt power compact lights on 10 hours a day.
Tank is Moderately planted.

Tank ph 6.4
Kh3

I do a weekly 10 gallon water change with RO water.
After water change i add 1/2 teaspoon Potassium sulfate
1/4 teaspoon potassium nitrate
~1/32 teaspoon mono potassium phosphate. (measuring spoon says smidgen)
For trace i use 1 teaspoon flourish X3
3.5 ml Flourish Iron X3

I switch off days of flourish and flourish iron till water change again.
This dosing schedule is the only think i could do to get rid of hair algae but now its gone i got a lot of either spot algae or some time of green algae on the glass that is really just an eye sore. Its also very had to remove from the glass. If there is a different dosing schedule or something someone can suggest that i could do better anything would be appreciated.

I currently don't have a phosphate kit or nitrate but they are on order so when i get those i can get some better readings.

Here is a picture of the algae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 11:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
just a thought.

Does natural sunlight hit that side of the tank that is green.
I have had that problem when the tank is next to a window and i would get green algae that was very easy to remove like dust almost.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

No, the side that actually has sunlight hit it i covered with plastic background just like the backside of the tank, its near a slider but not much light gets into the tank since its covered on 2 sides and the lights cover the lid almost completely. Its very hard to remove i have to scrub or use a razor to get it off and grows almost completely back within a week.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 11:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
That looks like what I have in my 10g, and if I recall correctly it's green dust algae. The side that faced my window got the most of it, so I ended up using a piece of black foam board to cover it. It's not as bad anymore, and to clean it I use a magic eraser pad. It wipes off easily with one quick pass.

Edit: and it was a pain in the butt to remove otherwise... It would take a few passes with even a razor to get rid of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 11:37 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Why do you use RO water? There's a lot of stuff missing (Ca and Mg, for ex) so unless you add these back in that could be part of the issues.

Regarding Flourish, best way is to start with directions on the bottle, and then adjust it up if plants look deficient. Keep in mind that traces aren't needed in large amounts... just in trace amounts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I use RO because my water is pretty bad Ph 8.5+ KH and GH 14+. I have cardinal tetras that like a little lower Ph. Ever since i switched to RO i have less problems with algae and healthier fish. I have Seachem equilibrium will that restore some of the minerals?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 12:20 AM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Are your plants growing well?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Apart from the algae yeah, i got rid of all the slow growing plants because the leafs got covered in the spot algae so i ditched them.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 12:34 AM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by latchdan View Post
Apart from the algae yeah, i got rid of all the slow growing plants because the leafs got covered in the spot algae so i ditched them.
OK if your plants are growing reasonably well don't worry about the dosing. You just need to control the organic content in the tank alittle better. I would do several things on that front and see what happens. Reduce your light cycle down to 8 hrs or so, make sure you filter is clean and increase the percent of your weekly water change, you can also reduce feeding. The more of these things you do the better. I wouldn't worry to much about hitting a bullseye on dosing. I have personally never found it to be necessary.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

ok ill give it a shot thanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode