co2 drop checker - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
co2 drop checker

I want to get a drop checker for my tank since I have all my other co2 parts coming in the mail but from every thing that I read everyone is giving different answers about the liquids. So can any one point me in the direction of a good quality set up or an all in one package of solution drop checker ect. ect. any help would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 10:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
i think most members here use 4dkh solution + bromothymol blue (i think this is what the API pH test solution is made of).

nilocg sales premade 4dkh solution if you don't feel like making your own: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/15...7Cials%7C.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 12:44 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I had one and sold it after a couple of months. They are a waste of money. Slow to show changes and unless you are going crazy with CO2, not necessary. Just count the bubbles per minute and watch the tanks' progress.

The best thing is actually an electrical switch with a timer to turn on and off your co2 automatically. It makes the CO2 levels totally stable.

Waddo

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 05:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Like most of the gadgets we use, a drop checker isn't essential. If you are just starting to use pressurized CO2 you are probably very concerned about not killing all of your fish by using too much. So, typically, you will start with a low bubble rate, and, because someone tells you that 2 bubbles per second is about right for your 30 gallon tank, you will not use more than that. But, you may have a small leak in your CO2 system. Any leak at all and it is likely that little or none of the CO2 is going into the water.

After a few weeks of this you will be disappointed because you see no effect, but you are too afraid to raise the bubble rate.

A drop checker, used with 4 dKH water and bromothymol pH reagent, will help you a lot with this situation. You can see by the color of the solution whether you have any CO2 getting into the water, you can raise the bubble rate slightly every few hours and see if it has any effect or if you are getting close to a nice green color of the drop checker. Unless you get a yellow drop checker you are not likely to be harming your fish.

In other words, for a beginner with CO2, this gives you the confidence to adjust your bubble rate to where it actually does the plants some good, without worrying about harming your fish by going too far with it. Once you get a green drop checker, you can observe what your bubble counter looks like, and from then on you can just duplicate that bubble rate by looking at the bubble counter.

A green drop checker doesn't necessarily mean you have the "right" amount of CO2 in the water, so you can find that "right" amount by slowly, a little at a time, increasing the bubble rate, while watching the plants and fish, and over a week or two, find what is the optimum bubble rate for your tank.

Without a drop checker you may never see any positive effect of CO2 on the plants, and you may just give it up as beyond your ablility to manage it. Since drop checkers are cheap, I see it as a very useful gadget.

Hoppy
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Like most of the gadgets we use, a drop checker isn't essential. If you are just starting to use pressurized CO2 you are probably very concerned about not killing all of your fish by using too much. So, typically, you will start with a low bubble rate, and, because someone tells you that 2 bubbles per second is about right for your 30 gallon tank, you will not use more than that. But, you may have a small leak in your CO2 system. Any leak at all and it is likely that little or none of the CO2 is going into the water.

After a few weeks of this you will be disappointed because you see no effect, but you are too afraid to raise the bubble rate.

A drop checker, used with 4 dKH water and bromothymol pH reagent, will help you a lot with this situation. You can see by the color of the solution whether you have any CO2 getting into the water, you can raise the bubble rate slightly every few hours and see if it has any effect or if you are getting close to a nice green color of the drop checker. Unless you get a yellow drop checker you are not likely to be harming your fish.

In other words, for a beginner with CO2, this gives you the confidence to adjust your bubble rate to where it actually does the plants some good, without worrying about harming your fish by going too far with it. Once you get a green drop checker, you can observe what your bubble counter looks like, and from then on you can just duplicate that bubble rate by looking at the bubble counter.

A green drop checker doesn't necessarily mean you have the "right" amount of CO2 in the water, so you can find that "right" amount by slowly, a little at a time, increasing the bubble rate, while watching the plants and fish, and over a week or two, find what is the optimum bubble rate for your tank.

Without a drop checker you may never see any positive effect of CO2 on the plants, and you may just give it up as beyond your ablility to manage it. Since drop checkers are cheap, I see it as a very useful gadget.
Bravo freaken bravo!! Amazing this is why this site and people like you in this world or hobby make it worth while..with such an answer that provides great points and supporting points it hits the ball out of the park.. Thanks hoopy when ever I'm in sac you deserve a round of drinks hahah but awesome thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingAlongWithTsing View Post
i think most members here use 4dkh solution + bromothymol blue (i think this is what the API pH test solution is made of).

nilocg sales premade 4dkh solution if you don't feel like making your own: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/15...7Cials%7C.html
Awesome thank you I forgot nilocg had these things for sale!! Good looking out

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-19-2016 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode